Author Topic: Bark as a primitive handle wrap  (Read 1585 times)

Offline shackleton

Bark as a primitive handle wrap
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:40:43 pm »
 Another handle wrap question.Another option which there is little info on is bark as a handle wrap.If I go this route it would be cherry bark.How do I go about doing this?Those who have done it could you post picks.
Thanks,
Scott

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bark as a primitive handle wrap
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 04:02:13 pm »
Scott, there are only a few cherry barks that will work, choke cherry being one. You could lather the handle area with glue(TB will work), wrap a strip of bark around and secure until the glue dries. You could also use contact cement.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline shackleton

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 04:11:50 pm »
Thanks..I have extra wood to experiment on.
Scott

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 04:15:47 pm »
Pat, does chokecherry still need to be cut in strips circumferentially?  Chokecherry in my area rarely exceeds 4" diameter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:58:43 pm »
Yes. That is where it's strength is. You might be able to cut the bark from a tree a similar diameter as the handle. Cut a 4" longitudinal piece, remove it from the tree and wrap it around the handle. For a handle, strength isn't necessarily your main concern like it would be for a backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mark Russell

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:17:03 am »
I'd like to see a picture of that - even if it's just a practice piece.  We've go choke cherry growing all over up here.  I'm just now working on my first ever bow from a stave (from my property to boot).  It would be kind of neat to to have all the materials come from my property - if I make it that far (I'm just now to the floor tillering stage).

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 10:04:11 am »
I used Bitter Cherry cut in strips about 1/2" wide and applied like planks on a boat. Labor intensive but I thought it turned out OK.

Offline Mark Russell

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 05:35:17 pm »
That’s pretty slick. Is that the full thickness of the bark? Or was the “inside” of the bark shaved to make it thinner?

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 07:06:03 pm »
Cherry bark has the thin outer layer and then the thick corky stuff underneath. This is just the thin outer layer. It's 1/32" or less but it's not in papery layers like birch. I cut the "planks" so to avoid the cracks, pores and woodpecker holes. After it was all glued I scraped it lightly to bring up the purple.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 07:13:17 pm »
Elm inner bark makes an excellent wrap. It's very leathery when dampened.  Bushboy has posted a few bows with an Elm bark wrap.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 08:26:33 pm »
Here's one of mine with a chokecherry handle wrap. Usually have to scrape it down somewhat to get it flexible enough to wrap around the handle. Soaking it helps too.

Offline shackleton

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 02:58:31 am »
Thanks alot for showing your work.Very nice.Helps with ideas.
Scott