Author Topic: Well used ELB, could I work back the draw length?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Well used ELB, could I work back the draw length?
« on: April 02, 2018, 07:17:27 pm »
I have a black walnut English longbow I’ve been shooting wquite a bit since early fall. It’s 72 or 74” nock to knock. The tiller is more elliptical than circular, but does flex in the handle. I’ll try to get a tiller shot in the next couple days. It has been heat treated, but has some bug damage in the back that I filled with powdered deer antler and superglue. It’s tillered out to 68# at 27” and took about 1” of set after tillering and being my hunting bow all fall and winter. At my 26” draw it is very smooth and the quietest bow I own. Though not that fast at only 140fps with a 625g arrow. I have plenty of other bows I can shoot if it fails doing this, but I feel it would be a great bow for practicing my 30” warbow draw.
Without seeing the tiller, would it be worth risking the bow by drawing it 3” more?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline PatM

Re: Well used ELB, could I work back the draw length?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:19:40 pm »
Bug damage with powdered deer antler and superglue combined with heat treating makes the bow seem like living miracle at  27'.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 07:55:03 pm »
That pretty much the biggest reason for debating. I wasn’t sure if it was worth the risk there. And is why I hadn’t shortened it to try gaining any efficiency. And I’d forgot to mention, it’s an all heartwood bow.

Kyle

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:15:48 pm »
I like that bow - don't do it!!!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:55:28 am »
If there is bug damage on the back it is an accident waiting to happen.
It will blow up for sure.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 04:44:30 am »
I think I’ll just leave it be and make another for training the draw length and style. I’ve been lucky so far with bows not breaking due to bug damage. Though I usually take it down so that the bug trough is about 1/8” or less, sand the edges so the transition is smooth like the limb corners, then I soak it in warm super glue. This bow probably has close to a couple thousand arrows through it so far. Though it is long with a short draw. I’ll have to get some pictures of it up. I had posted a full draw of it last fall before I took it hunting. But I didn’t do any detail shots showing the bug damage.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 04:59:38 pm »
I figured I would show the bug hole damage. I forgot there was only one spot and it’s on the corner. But it’s held up well, so I won’t fuss about it and will just keep shooting it as is.
I’m not sure if it’s still holding up, but last year I build a walnut bow with a hole going through the limb at an edge and one in the middle. But it held up well while in my possession. I wonder if walnut just holds up well to some grain violation.

Kyle

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 01:13:26 pm »
That sounds familiar. If it's the one I'm thinking of..I just shot that walnut bow a couple weeks ago. It's holding up great. Thanks again!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 03:34:48 pm »
Glad to hear it’s still holding up well for you. And that is the one I was talking about. I’m curious, how is the snake shed backing holding up? I haven’t kept any I’ve  done that on. So I’m curious about the durability of it?

Kyle

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 03:57:51 pm »
Bug damage with powdered deer antler and superglue combined with heat treating makes the bow seem like living miracle at  27'.

I'd usually say " + 1 ".  Why take a chance on ruining a perfectly good bow?  It took 1" of set. right?  That's kind of how set works.   Even if it doesn't break, drawing it the next 3" may give you double or more the set.

If you REALLY want to, I would definitely get a patch or splint on that bug-bite first, but really, I'd dig up another stave and make yourself a war-bow.