Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

New PB

<< < (5/7) > >>

DC:
Just curious, if they are measuring a 5 curve would they put a straight edge across the back and measure the two inches from there?

Badger:

--- Quote from: DC on April 03, 2018, 07:35:44 pm ---Just curious, if they are measuring a 5 curve would they put a straight edge across the back and measure the two inches from there?

--- End quote ---

They go by the handle

Tuomo:

--- Quote from: avcase on April 03, 2018, 06:29:40 pm ---If I were making a self Flight bow, I would use all 2 inches of the depth allowed, and I’d draw the arrow as far as possible before it starts to fall free of the belly side of the shelf.  This is where the bow was drawn to in order to verify the draw weight.  I should have a picture or two of Dan’s bow.  I don’t think he took full advantage of the handle depth.

--- End quote ---

Please could you be more specific - I don't understand what is advantage of the full thickness handle. Of course it is more rigid but it was not the point now. If draw weight is always measured to the belly side of the handle and arrow length is fixed, then handle thickness is insignificant. If the handle is for example five inches thick and it is protruding towards the back side of the bow (like reverse handle) - no meaning in view of measuring draw length. If the handle is protruding towards belly side of the bow (like conventional handle), what then? With five inches thick handle the brace height will be very low - or the bow overstressed. How you could get more draw length or more stored energy or some other advantage with very thick handle?

JNystrom:
The trick is the same as with siper. You get to use shorter arrows. So in this case 1,5 - 1,75" shorter.
Nothing to do with poundage and energy storage. Actually, handle in front of the bow would be better. You could shoot shorter bows and shorter arrows with heavier poundage.

150 grain arrow is awesome. I think its doable with pine/spruce at 22"...maybe. I will definitely try these tricks on summer.

Sorry about OT in Del's topic, but flight is too interesting!

edit: But wouldn't it be the same if you just skipped the thick handle and lowered brace equal amount? I'm baffled after all.

Marc St Louis:

--- Quote from: Tuomo on April 03, 2018, 11:29:55 pm ---
--- Quote from: avcase on April 03, 2018, 06:29:40 pm ---If I were making a self Flight bow, I would use all 2 inches of the depth allowed, and I’d draw the arrow as far as possible before it starts to fall free of the belly side of the shelf.  This is where the bow was drawn to in order to verify the draw weight.  I should have a picture or two of Dan’s bow.  I don’t think he took full advantage of the handle depth.

--- End quote ---

Please could you be more specific - I don't understand what is advantage of the full thickness handle. Of course it is more rigid but it was not the point now. If draw weight is always measured to the belly side of the handle and arrow length is fixed, then handle thickness is insignificant. If the handle is for example five inches thick and it is protruding towards the back side of the bow (like reverse handle) - no meaning in view of measuring draw length. If the handle is protruding towards belly side of the bow (like conventional handle), what then? With five inches thick handle the brace height will be very low - or the bow overstressed. How you could get more draw length or more stored energy or some other advantage with very thick handle?

--- End quote ---

It's also about the power stroke

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version