Author Topic: Help for my first wood board (Red oak) bow  (Read 3054 times)

Offline JPF

Help for my first wood board (Red oak) bow
« on: April 01, 2018, 03:00:01 am »
Hi everyone,
I'm doing my first board bow from red oak, a Mollegabet design.
Now I've already cut the shape added rawhide(from dog bones) and started the tillering of the active limbs, the width is 5.5cm(2.16 inch) and the thickness i got so far is 7mm(9/32 ") (Including the raw hide thickness), now the problem is that its hardly bending so my questions are the following:

1-Can i make the active limbs thinner without risking a permanent bend or breaking?
2-Or can i narrow them (but i have rawhide on the side)?
3-Is the rawhide on the side necessary or can i remove it to show the wood?

I've attached a picture showing a 5kg (11 pound) weight attached to the string.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Help for my first wood board (Red oak) bow
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 07:13:00 am »
The rawhide doesn't need to be on the sides. I cant tell you if the rawhide is necessary having never seen the board you're using. You should leave it on the bow since it is already in place. You will want to shorten the levers up and make the limbs bend farther out, you don't have enough working limb to get much draw length from.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 07:34:21 am »
   What weight bow are you trying to make? I think it is already too weak. I would straighten up the tiller and get as much as you can from what you have left. You said it is hardly bending. I bet if you pulled 30# instead of 11 pounds it would be bending a lot.

Offline JPF

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 09:06:23 am »
I'm looking for a Draw weight of 30# max.
Now regarding the weight attached 11 pound,I feel like it's going to break if i pull more or add weight.
As for the design i took it from BoarriorBows and i think it should work, but he uses maple instead of red oak.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 09:52:09 am »
Unfortunately, you took approx 1/2" thickness from the belly and now have just approx 1/4" remaining. Should have taken just 1/4" from belly and, thus, would have 1/2" remaining. Boarrior's vid wasn't clear about this.
Good news is you've learned much that can be applied to next project.
Molle was my 1st attempt too. Imo, not a design for newbies. Pyramid design would provide better odds of success.
Good luck next time!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 10:26:36 am »
If you would post the layout dimensions we could offer more help. This design is not the best for a first bow. Give width and length of working limbs, length of levers, and overall length.
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JPF

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 11:05:09 am »
This is the design I've made
I understand regarding the thickness, but will it break if i try to add more weight? it does feel hard, at 1/2 " it was impossible to bend

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 01:04:33 pm »
You are way too wide for such a low weight bow, and the limbs are pretty thin. I suggest you narrow the limbs to 1-3/4" wide and see what you get, I would not remove any more belly wood.

Offline JPF

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 05:05:09 am »
Actually my limbs are 5.3cm (2.08"), this is the part I've modified before because it was too large.
And I've made a mistake regarding the thickness it's actually 9mm (23/64") at the thinnest and 1cm(25/64) on the edge.
Now i'm thinking about thinning the levers to 1.3cm instead of 1.9 for look and make it more flexible, is it risky, can it break?

I've attached the new design.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 07:25:01 am »
Without risk there is no reward. With natural materials there is always the chance it will blow up on ya. Narrow it down like mentioned and see how much it wants to bend, and build one of Eric's tillering gizmos, he has a video up on YouTube

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 07:44:48 am »
build one of Eric's tillering gizmos, he has a video up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqvwUqn-EFQ
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JPF

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 08:59:02 am »
Ok thank you for your help.
Will build one then.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 02:00:01 pm »
build one of Eric's tillering gizmos, he has a video up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqvwUqn-EFQ

Yes. Do that. Very simple and will make the difference between a well tillered bow and one with hinges if you are having a hard time eyeballing the bend.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 02:15:54 pm »
This is My personal opinion and only that, I think that a bow with levers aren’t the best for someone very new at making bows. There is little working limb and imo the less working limb = more chance of failure. Personally, I think a good starting point would be a parallel limb bow with last third of limb tapering to tips, or a pyramid bow. Bow length as long as distance from your eyeball to the ground if you have 8” of non working handle or chin to ground if it bend through the handle. Start with floor tillering, then move to the tree. Once on the tree put a belly tight string on it and pull to your desired draw weight. You won’t get a whole lot of bend most likely. Note the stiff and weak areas. Scrape wood from stiff areas. Brace the bow as soon as your bend will allow it at your desired draw weight and continue drawing and removing wood till you are at your draw length.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 07:10:21 pm »
I said the same a ways back Morgan, but all said he has it cut out so might as well make a bow😉