Author Topic: Oldest bow that can still shoot  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Oldest bow that can still shoot
« on: March 26, 2018, 06:09:26 am »
What is the oldest wood bow you know of that is still shootable? I am specifically interested in self bows, but if you know of sinew-backed bows I would like to hear about those too. I ask because I wonder if there are types of woods that stand the test of time better than others, and retain their elasticity for longer periods.

I suppose another useful question might be: What bows have shot the most arrows over the longest time?

Offline PatM

Re: Oldest bow that can still shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 07:01:35 am »
There is a guy in  Cali who found and Aldred  yew longbow in a shop and  got it shooting again.   That bow would likely date to the 1850s.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 07:17:33 am »
Pretty sure the revived and shot a bow recovered from the Mary Rose as a sacrifice/test to see if they could, the bow held up.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 07:33:50 am »
Not a selfbow but it says something about the wood’s properties. I have a bamboo backed lemonwood where the lemonwood came from a York 38lb flat back bow built sometime before 1942. The only reason i did it was b/c the fiber backing was failing badly and the bow would have broken. It now pulls over 50lbs and shows no sign of giving up any time soon. Looking at the nocks I’d say the bow had been shot a fair amount over time. I think it is very much dependent upon how and where the bow is stored.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:22:26 pm »
I've got two of those Yorks still shooting. I heated one and took the set out of it and it really seemed to like it. Got an all metal bow still shooting, too. Does that count? :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:58:16 pm »
not super old but my buddy still is shooting and hunting with a osage bow i made for him 32yrs ago.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 07:34:55 pm »
Do you have an old bow that you want to shoot, or do you want to make a bow that will last for the generations?

I don't really like the idea of people shooting collectable old bows, because I have come across plenty of beautiful examples, that have been abused, to the point of being broken. Its usually some ignorant gorilla with an 80" reach trying to draw a short draw bow (or even a standard draw bow). The bow breaks the first attempt.
Even for those that know what they are doing, its always a risk wrecking a lovely historical object that has served its working life already. Yes it can be done, with careful incremental retraining.
I have several antique bows that show no sign of excessive set or chrysals, but have had their wooden tips broken, through misuse. Another bow an Aldred yew, that has been expertly reglued after it was shattered, likely by the aforementioned gorilla(he really gets around). Some of these old bows like the Aldred are a far cut above the rest in terms of craftsmanship, and details that commonly get overlooked by most of todays craftsmen. They are also artifacts that contradict much of the information commonly thought to be true. Its a crying shame, and also a loss of investment $, and history, to see one of these bows unnecessarily broken.

Yes there are bows without much historical value, where plenty of them are still in the antique market(ebay especially)t. It isn't bad if someone has the knowledge to assess the feasibilty of retraining or repair to get an old bow like this shooting again. Firstly the bow should exhibit good, even  tiller from its stringfollow or  an even reflex. No chrysals, no lifts on the back, or bruises that would obviously cause  the bow to fail. Also good knocks, and a good string at a realistic brace height. Hardwood bows of osage, or hickory usually have a better chance of surviving, rather than yew.

Regarding the Mary Rose bows. Yes they did attempt to use some of the originals. Some shot, at least for a while, and some broke first try.
The sapwood was deemed to have lost a lot of its natural tension strength though centuries of being submerged in salt water, so it was considered safer to have new replica bows made according to the dimensions of the originals. It was good that they tried, but were smart enough to know when to stop wrecking such a wonderful find.

Those hollow metal bows like the Seefab, and Ackles Apollo etc are an accident waiting to happen because you can't see if the interior is rusted.
Some are still shootable, I have shot several due to curiousity, despite being warned by those more knowledgeable and more experienced than me at the time. An old timer said to always wear a peaked cap when shooting. They did this back in the day even when the bows were new because they sometimes broke without warning, and knocked you on head. My old steel bows didn't break, but I quickly found out that they didn't have as much cast as a good selfbow, and delivered a lot of handshock, and have been retired to the closet for many years.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:55:24 pm »
Ol' Glassy probably dates back to the late '40s or early 50s, I got it in '57,  should make a new string before I shoot it again.  I doubt it has developed any rot, rust, or set! Action bow!  A buddy has a recurve version I'm trying to talk him into trading something for, just for the heck of it! I don't think that full fg counts in this contest, though >:D.  The Shim bows are some sort of hybrid, so they probably don't count, either! Lol!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 08:20:16 pm »
"A breaking cord may fracture your bow. I saw Wallace Bryant lose a beautiful specimen this way. One of Aldred's most perfect make, dark Spanish yew and more than fifty years old, flew to splinters just because a treacherous string parted in the center. "

: Saxton Pope

Even back in the day people were risking the classics.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 06:40:02 pm »
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Hamish, I am mainly interested in making bows that remain usable for a very long time. I do not have any antique bows.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 07:48:19 pm »
Don’t have any really old bows since I’ve only been building for about 8 years but my main bow I always grab is 5 years old. Osage, 61 inches, 50 pounds at 26” and it has been shot thousands and thousands of times and been strung for hundreds of hours. Hasn’t gained any string follow or lost any weight. Have made lots of memory’s with it.  I intend to shoot it for the rest of my life. It’s a self bow, unbacked. I actually dropped it on concrete a couple years ago and scraped the back up pretty good but I just sanded the scrapes down and she’s been fine ever since
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 10:00:24 pm »
I have an old York lemonwood ELB that was made in the 1940s. I shot it a few times when I first got it in the 1980s but I'd rather preserve it for what it is, a part of our archery history. I have another lemonwood flat bow that was given to me, maker unknown. The first time I drew it the handle glue line separated so I have retired it also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 11:29:36 pm »
My vote,,would be for the Working handle long bow,,in the design of what most refer to as an eastern woodland Native style bow...If built in an under stressed design and well maintained and cared for,,it should last quite a while..You wont win any flight shoots or impress any chrono crunchers with them,but they should get the job done today,as well as they did,in years past..

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 06:50:45 am »
I have an old Bear Fox all fiberglass recurve which 25-30# that still shoots. It is from 1960.
Does that qualify for an old bow? :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 11:45:03 am »
That fits in the old category, I think.  Fg was still strong in the market and it is probably older than the first compounds.  I also have a Bear Kodiak Magnum LH recurve that is in good shape.  Luckily, only one of my sons is left handed, so it didn't suffer much abuse from kids mishandling it.  I think I saw a post that Mullet is the guru on Bear bows, will have to bug him for some info when he gets back from the endless summer! (SH) >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry