Author Topic: preforms VS rough  (Read 13295 times)

Offline redwasp

Re: preforms VS rough
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 09:32:33 pm »

If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline redwasp

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 09:35:30 pm »
I know, I suck but cut myself three places so I guess I have to be proud of it. LOL Blood, sweat, and tears.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 10:39:07 pm »
Redwasp:  Looking at the point with the short spalls.  To run a flake a long way at least to the center, you need to hold the point at a higher angle. On small points like this one, I use an 8/9" tree trunk with padding that is chair high and with that I can hold the point with an angle high enough to make long flakes when pressure flaking. Think of a cone going out of the point of your flaker and aim the edge of the cone to where you want your flake to go.  Its hard to explain, but only takes minutes to show!  Any way send me a PA Message with your mailing address and I will send you some tools and things.  Watcher  Also abrade, abrade to let your flaker grab on!!
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 10:51:40 pm »
redwasp - I see you've got the fever ;D. That looks identical to some of my first points about four years ago. Just simple shapes preassure flaked around the edge. Believe it or not, you learned a lot by doing that - they say experience only comes with tonnage and I've broke a lot of rocks. I've gotten a lot better but am no master by any stretch of the imagination :).
 Get that video and pay attention, another good one is The art of flintknapping by DCWadorf. Take your time and always abraid. It's like anything else - you won't learn overnight.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline redwasp

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 08:47:09 pm »
 has anyone watched the dvd "Lap Knapping" that boy can knap, makes it look so easy, learned alot too. can't wait til obsidian arrives ;D.  Oh by the way, wouldn't  it be very dangerous to grind by hand ,you don't want to breathe that stuff? or is it the water he used that kept the dust down.

Offline redwasp

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 05:48:12 pm »
made a point today out of the obsidian preforms I ordered looks way better than the glass bottle bottom I posted it still has to be notched, and the edge is still not quite straight  but the preform seems to be easier for me to knapp especially after watching the dvd. plus the obsidian is way easier to work than the chert I have.