Author Topic: Dual Z-Splice, 3-billet bow?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline pnwarcher

Dual Z-Splice, 3-billet bow?
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:05:42 am »
Anyone ever made a bow from 3 billets? I have two pieces I want to use for limbs, and a short stout piece for a handle in the center. Structured sort of like a 3-piece takedown I suppose, but with each limb joined to the center piece with a Z-splice. Someone tell me this idea is too crazy to try, so I'll be motivated to try it!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Dual Z-Splice, 3-billet bow?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 02:47:43 am »
Nothing wrong with the idea, it will be more work and you'll loose some working limb length due to the grip and length of the Zs. Alignment will require some care.... but...
Sounds like fun  :)
Del
PS, could end up with people seeing how many Zs they can build into a bow :)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 04:44:51 am »
why make thinks difficult for our selves?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:17:50 am »
Pnwarcher, its to crazy, no way, it cant be done cause the world will blow up!!! With that being said if you don't try it I will.
I always wondered why people made bow building so complicated with multiple pieces and splices, now I know. Good full length thick pieces are harder to come by. Which is why so many cultures made composites. So I say go for it!! I will follow your progress as I will being trying every crazy idea I can come up with eventually.
Something  my Grandfather told me once " Boy ya know how that coyote in the cartoon straps his a$$ to an acme rocket and try's to chase down that bird, not a great idea huh, well that's exactly how man got to the moon."
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:41:13 am »
With the right glue you can make a bow out of pieces. In your case I would give it a try to see how it comes out, I have thought about doing the same thing.

I have made a bow out of random pieces to fill a handle out in a stave that only had about half enough wood to make a handle, I backed the bow with bamboo to be on the safe side.

It looked like this when I got done gluing up pieces. To my knowledge the bow has never failed.

And this before I started;

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:59:57 am »
I'd say go for it.The knowledge you'll learn from it will come in handy later too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 11:11:25 am »
I tried a "V" in the middle of the working limb once. It failed. I think the success of this depends on where the splices are. If they are in the fades it may work. Another way might be to splice two billets in the handle as normal and then splice tips on. Try it though, be sure to report back, take videos of the tillering ;D ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 11:39:04 am »
People do it all the time. I just did on the osage billet RD I posted a week ago, or so. Splice the limbs together and glue the 3rd block on for the riser/handle area.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 11:45:45 am »
He means in a row, Pearlie.

The Turkish bow uses three pieces but the joints are additionally covered.

I wouldn't hesitate doing it if the splices were confined to longish fades and the bow was backed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 11:50:28 am »
I see now. Not my idea of a good idea. But, we all do what we do for our own reasons.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 11:56:12 am »

I wouldn't hesitate doing it if the splices were confined to longish fades and the bow was backed

+1

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 12:14:36 pm »
  I have made a few where I didn't want to loose the 4" to make a splice so I used a center piece to join the other 2 together. My two billets were basically butted with a v splice connecting each one to the center.

Offline pnwarcher

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 12:25:47 pm »
  I have made a few where I didn't want to loose the 4" to make a splice so I used a center piece to join the other 2 together. My two billets were basically butted with a v splice connecting each one to the center.
This is close to what I'm considering. I want to try it because my limb pieces are small diameter, highly reflexed branches, and I want to glue in significant deflex. I can't think of a way to have a remotely ergonomic handle if I don't use a third chunk of wood to connect the limbs. Thanks for the ideas y'all... this bow is going to be "different" if I can pull it off.  8)

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:17 pm »
Dis you make the handle piece diamond shaped, like with the "V's" pointing out?

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 01:21:48 pm »
 No but not a bad idea, might be a bit harder to get a good fit, not sure.