Author Topic: Who all is gonna be at OJam this weekend?  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Who all is gonna be at OJam this weekend?
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:55:36 pm »
Just wondering who all is gonna be there. God willin I'm still planning on getting there mid day friday. I'm not sure how to identify everyone from here. I will be the scruffy looking guy wearing some form of camo carrying a selfbow and homemade quiver...lol think you can pick me out of the crowd?  Oh I know, lets all where little pink ribbons. On second thought that won't work or we might get mistaken for Log Cabin republicans....lol   Seriously though hope to meet and recognize someone at least from here. Should be fun.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline carpenter374

Re: Who all is gonna be at OJam this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:25:01 am »
ill be there saturday.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:22:31 pm »
I have to work this morming but I drove up and set up my tent last night.
I should be there by 2 today.

There were already a good number of camps. Guys fishing, shooting, unloading wood and telling lies.  :)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 04:29:29 pm »
I'll be there sometime early Saturday morning, and stay as long as there's something going on.  I only live about 25 miles away, so I'll head home that evening.

I'll be the one without a bow walking around like a kid in a candy store.   ;D

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:14:47 pm »
I'm still debating going.  I spent a few hours in a car yesterday and am now not so thrilled about the thought of 8 hours each way.  But I know it'd be fun.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »
One of these years i'm going to come down there.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline horseapple

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 06:00:40 pm »
Be leaving out early friday morning, Lennie it would be worth the trip as it is alot like the early Mojams... everyone is working on wood or rocks.

JD

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 06:09:08 pm »
JD, I talked to the boss and we are definitely coming.  She's going to spell me on the driving.  Will arrive early Saturday.

Looks like decent weather, 60's and clouds but no rain.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 06:35:20 pm »
Well, I said I was going.  ??? I don't know yet if my flight from San Antonio into OKC is affected by the MD-80 grounding.  I've been here all week on business and knew I'd be cutting it close, now this may ruin the whole weekend.  I knew I should have driven. >:(

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 08:47:22 pm »
Got to work this weekend... :'(
Maybe next year...I will be off for Mojam though so you guys can tell me all about it.
Drive safe Lennie...

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:53:56 pm »
Ok who made it. I met so many people and don't know if some of who I met was some of you guys one here. I was pretty much hanging around the bandsaw sander area all day saturday working on the billet splices and roughing out some bows to take home and get started on. It was a great time and gave me plenty of confidence as well as making a few new friends. God willing I will  be there next year too.   Danny

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:48:13 pm »
Hey Sidewinder, I was there.  Didn't work on any bows but hung around enough to get covered in yellow sawdust.  I watched a guy sanding on a "z" splice billet on the north side of the shelter, maybe that was you.  I was watching intently in that I'm going to need to do the same thing with some mullberry that I have in my shop.  I also spent a lot of time watching Ralph (can't remember his last name) turn rock after rock into some really cool points.  I had a great time.

Otoe
aka Mike Chase

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 03:08:15 pm »
Mike, that was me. I eventually took it back over to the band saw and took off a little more on the inside of one of the splices and she fit nice and snug. I had a real choice piece I split into billets and worked it down to one ring ith my drawknife and Keith Bishop was the one doing the class and he used that one as the example. I got to do all the work myself and I am confident I can do a hundred of them now. If you have any questions let me know, I think I have a keen enough grasp on it to be of some help. Too bad I did'nt know that was you.  the Ralph I was working with on the bows  last name is Renfro. Is'nt he a generous, helpful, knowledgable fella. I really appreciated how much he and the other good bowyers there were willing to help those of us that are still a little green around the gillsl I intend to give Ralph a visit sometime in the next month. Did you see those boo back osage reflex deflex's? I gotta do one of those. I have'nt shot one yet but I'll bet they are faster than all get out.   Danny

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 04:44:35 pm »
Well Sidewinder, glad to meet you.  If you get a chance, post some pic's of your bows.  I'd love to see how they turn out.  When I get my mullberry wood nice and cured, I look forward to starting on it, (it was cut back in the fall).  I can see where splicing could be a tedious task, especially getting a nice tight fit. 

I'm telling you, everyone, and I mean everyone I talked to was like a long lost relative.  Great bunch of folks.  My Dad and I sat on the picnic bench just south of the shelter and ate a Hamburger with a couple from Yukon, OK.  It was like we'd known them all our life.  We also found out we had several mutual acquaintances.  What a small world. 

Otoe
aka Mike Chase

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 07:11:02 pm »
Ralph Conrad was one of the knappers, he's really good.  Proud to say I own a few of his points.

I didn't know Keith Bishop was doing a splice demo.  I saw he was there, got to say hi is about all.  He runs MOJAM every year, great guy.

Ralph Renfro is really helpful, he was going 90 mph all day Saturday.  My wife got to know to his daughter-in-law at the shoot, very friendly people.

A R/D BBO is about as fast as a natural materials bow can get.  But it won't make you want to throw away your selfbow.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO