Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

1930's inspired flightbow 41" recurve 72# @18"

(1/3) > >>

JNystrom:
Here is my recent little bow. It's osage from Hungary, sinew backed with 60g of elk tendon. The handle is a bit deflexed, even though sinew reflex hides it - it's still there. Its about 1 3/5" (41mm) wide and holds almost 2" of reflex (45mm). It weights 11oz (306g).
I've drawn it to 19" already, but only weighted at 18". I will pull it past 20", maybe even 22". The bow feels somewhat understressed, so the weight climbs nicely to 80# and over.

What do you think, will it throw arrow any good? Sorry, the pics aren't that good and draw pic, doesn't show the bend properly. But it shows me struggling drawing it!  :laugh:

Marc St Louis:
I can tell it is bending nicely.  I think that if you can get a bit more draw length out of it then it should do well in flight

Badger:
  It should do well with light arrows if you can get the draw out to about 23", that's the minimum arrow length. Or just draw it a little short. Unlimited weight division it will be in.

JNystrom:
Thanks, I hope so too. Here in Finland we don't have any rule about arrow minimum length. But still I agree, getting longer draws will increase distance. I've noticed with these sharp hooks that they are almost too sharp, because the string lifts of just couple inches before full draw. Next bows I will make them somewhere around 60 degrees.

Here are couple syringa vulgaris (lilac) sinew backed recurves I also recently made. First one is 48" ntn, 65# @20", second one 49" ntn 62# @21". I deliberately measure these bows in lower draw lengths, so I wont wear them out.  Both hold 3-4" reflex.
I like recurves. I hope they prove their power in the field!

Badger:
   Do you have a chrono where you can test them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version