Author Topic: POC (Cedar arrows)  (Read 1474 times)

Offline JesseBeaux

POC (Cedar arrows)
« on: March 15, 2018, 12:46:09 am »
Can port orford cedar arrows be hafted and mounted with a primitive head (chert, flint, glass, obsidian)?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: POC (Cedar arrows)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:07:57 am »
Jesse the short answer is yes. Like cutting in self notches the grain has to be oriented correctly and you need a fairly thin stone point. This thread would probably get more information in the arrow section.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 09:42:44 pm »
I would say sure. I make my points with a thin stem.
You just cut or file the slot to fit the stem. Copping saw
slice a little passed where the point stem ends and wrap
tight with wet sinew. Water poof with pitch or hide glue.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 07:54:13 am »
I was left with a few hundred POC shafts which were left overs from my dad's old archery shop he closed up in the 60's. I hunt with stone and mount stone points on those arrows all the time.  It really helps if you have a thin base on your stone point.  I use a drop or two of super glue on the point and get the point aligned.  The super glue holds the point in place while I prepare my slow drying epoxy.  I mix a drop of black India ink in my epoxy and mix it up and it gives it the look of pine tar glue. I know it ain't exactly the primitive way of doing this but it works for me.  I then wrap the point with sinew, imitation sinew or a like thread. I coat this with Ultra gel super glue.  I take my fingers and pinch the super glue after it is applied to the thread to take the shiny look away and that leaves a mat finish on the glue that I applied.

I also have a tool called a nifty nocker which allows me to center the arrow for filing the opening in both the nock and point end of the shaft.  After I do this I  hand sand both ends to get the taper I want and the opening that I want to fit the point and the bow string.  Sounds like a bit of work but it is well worth it.

Offline JesseBeaux

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 01:28:53 am »
Thanks for the replies, fellas!