Analyse this!  :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOcrM7FMQSI
Del

avcase:

--- Quote from: Del the cat on May 09, 2018, 01:39:19 am ---Analyse this!  :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOcrM7FMQSI
Del

--- End quote ---

It looks like it could benefit from a little higher spine so the arrow nock will better clear the handle as the arrow leaves the string.

Alan

Comalforge:

--- Quote from: willie on May 08, 2018, 06:36:25 pm ---Del,
of course the flex is needed at the loose unless centershot, but how to best settle the arrow after it clears the bow is the question. Joachim noted in the opening post that more mass in the ends seems detrimental to quick reduction. He also postulated that....

--- Quote ---My gut feeling tells me we need arrows that bend evenly when spined, in a slightly elliptical tiller shape. This should give higher frequency oscillations that return more quickly to a static shape, even at rather low static spine weights.
--- End quote ---

I agree that higher freq vibes can be attenuated easier. A question in my mind is, can an assymetrical bend set up a tendency for two different harmonics to hopefully self cancel faster?

--- End quote ---

Intuitively, it might make sense to place the largest diameter 2/3 from the nock, 1/3 from the tip.  Taper to the same diameter but at different taper rates.

willie:

--- Quote from: Comalforge on May 09, 2018, 03:33:32 pm ---Intuitively, it might make sense to place the largest diameter 2/3 from the nock, 1/3 from the tip.  Taper to the same diameter but at different taper rates.

--- End quote ---
yes  an assymetrical taper. When considering similar ideas, I realized that one might have to weight the nock end somehow if FOC was too positive.
I did read about some turkish flight arrows that had lead in the nock end. I can not remember the reference, but it makes more sense with such a profile.

Badger:
   I think asymmetrical taper has established itself as far as shape as being the way to go. Spine and FOC we don't seem to have conclusive results in yet. My belief is that a bow shooting 235 fps should be hitting 430 yards consistently even with 200 grain arrows if all things are right. So a 350 yard shot even though a good shot would not necessarily reflect a best design. I have hit 380 yards with a mediocre bow yet tend to hover around the 300 mark with much faster bows. This has to be due to arrow shelf design and or arrow design and possibly archers release.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version