Author Topic: Reaction wood  (Read 2711 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Reaction wood
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 11:36:51 am »
Red Maple is also sold as soft maple.  Depends on your region when it comes to this term.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 11:46:11 am »
  If Doug maple is the same as what we call soft maple ( Home depot) then I say it will make a bow but needs to be wider and thicker than vine maple, much less dense. Closer to polar.

Not the same Badger.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 11:51:32 am »
There is no Vine Maple(except ornamentals) on the Island. Maybe I'll get some someday. I'd heard they were much the same. Doug Maple is very light but it makes a good bow.

I've kinda thought that maybe it was better to let wood dry loose so it can take the shape it wants. I thought that if I strapped it down it may build up stresses inside that may come back to haunt you as you remove wood. I'm probably wrong.

I don't know if it's true reaction wood but I mark the "up" side of the tree when I cut it and it always bends "up".

If the wood is not too thick let it slow dry in log form, too thick and spalting can happen from excessive moisture trapped in the log. Another method I like to employ is to saw in half, sticker, and wrap the log back together to hold form. Good luck!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 03:38:14 pm »
SG seems to be .52