Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Working on a giant bow to beat Allen Case!

<< < (2/14) > >>

willie:
strains for the few larch and DF bows I have tillered were about .6 vs .7 for birch, for the same amount of set

sleek:
You may consider white oak? I know its used as planking for plank on frame ships. They like to get the planks long, so perhaps source boat lumber.

avcase:

--- Quote from: willie on March 14, 2018, 12:01:16 am ---strains for the few larch and DF bows I have tillered were about .6 vs .7 for birch, for the same amount of set

--- End quote ---

You were able to get the bows to 0.6% strain and live?  That’s pretty impressive. I keep my hardwood bows around 0.5%, depending on species & condition.

Alan

avcase:
White oak would be great choice!

Badger:
  If possible I want to make the limbs 1 solid piece. I plan to use 2 timbers about 6" or 7" thick, 2 feet wide and 32 feet long attached to a stationary center piece about 20 ft long. I am open to a stack leaf design if I can get it to work right. I am hoping for a draw weight of about 8 to 10,000 pounds and about a 24 ft draw length. I plan to draw it to destruction going up incrementally until it fails. Hoping for a little over 100,000# stored energy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version