Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Working on a giant bow to beat Allen Case!

<< < (10/14) > >>

willie:

--- Quote ---I wonder if a limb could employ airplane wing technology.
--- End quote ---

To some degree there might be ways that maximizing stiffness/weight ratio might be applicable to bow builds, but in esssence, the primary goal in wing design is to build a light limb limb that does not bend too much while our goals are more about bending and energy storage.

Of course, a sponsor with deep pockets and an unemployed aircraft engineer looking for new challenges would be an interesting  team to have onboard

Badger:
  I was just thinking in terms out adding light weight ribs to a hardwood back and belly, might be worth a simple test. Maybe something like 2/3 of the center empty 1/3 of the space occupied by ribs. Might be an easy way to preset tiller at the same time

willie:
Always worth an experiment. :) I think your challenge is going to be shear forces inside the limbs
----------------------->
<----------------------

Del might have have an observation or two, as I think he was working on a hollow crossbow limb earlier this winter.

avcase:
The giant bow should not be able to throw an arrow any faster than a regular size bow.  Somewhere north of 200 fps with a reasonably sized arrow would be a major success.  But the trajectory of the huge arrow from the huge bow should travel much farther than the same speed arrow at normal scale.  Air resistance will be much less a factor on the big arrow trajectory. 

Alan

Badger:

--- Quote from: avcase on March 23, 2018, 06:23:22 pm ---The giant bow should not be able to throw an arrow any faster than a regular size bow.  Somewhere north of 200 fps with a reasonably sized arrow would be a major success.  But the trajectory of the huge arrow from the huge bow should travel much farther than the same speed arrow at normal scale.  Air resistance will be much less a factor on the big arrow trajectory. 

Alan

--- End quote ---

Allen, that's what I was coming up with. Even the dry fire speed calculations were disappointing. The only way to make the giant bow short that I can think of is to have an extra long draw length. I was hoping for 500 fps plus and it doesn't look like I will even come close to that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version