Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Working on a giant bow to beat Allen Case!

<< < (9/14) > >>

avcase:

If I understand you correctly, you are saying efficiencies do not scale well?  Besides the problem of finding quality staves for giant limbs, like Alan mentioned, what other reasons come to mind that might be the cause of lesser efficiency?
[/quote]

Finding a decent string will be a challenge. Standard rope materials will probably be much more elastic or heavy unless you want to spring for a very expensive spectra rope.

Alan

Selfbowman:
Yes Alan that's a lot of sinew ! Steel cable would be saver with out stretch. Don't know about ship rope. Still watching. Arvin

Badger:
  Spectra rope for sure, expensive but available. Once I get a solid plan down with some drawings I can see about how much sponsorship I can get.
  White oak in 12 ft long straight grained pieces can be found. Maybe scale back to 60 ft, use a 15 ft rigid center. Da Vinci drawing was an 80 ft long crossbow. I think It will require engineering all the way. A good idea for a show would be to put on a mock siege. All the pieces carried it in on wagons and then assembled by the soldiers on sight.  Would have to come up with a good use for a giant bow in a siege. Fire rate would be extremely slow.

willie:
Scaled back to 60 foot is still impressive!   A nice graphic like similar to this will go a long way for getting folks onboard.

http://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2016/12/c8cf1d80-6528-4afa-a44c-ebb9927ae7c1.jpg

A series of test bow possibilities to consider would to be to build a 3', 6' and 12' bow of the same design. you could probably get all three from the same board. I think if carefully tillered to the scaled draw weights, a lot could be learned about how well you can scale the efficiency.

Badger:

--- Quote from: willie on March 23, 2018, 12:29:51 pm ---Scaled back to 60 foot is still impressive!   A nice graphic like similar to this will go a long way for getting folks onboard.

http://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2016/12/c8cf1d80-6528-4afa-a44c-ebb9927ae7c1.jpg

A series of test bow possibilities to consider would to be to build a 3', 6' and 12' bow of the same design. you could probably get all three from the same board. I think if carefully tillered to the scaled draw weights, a lot could be learned about how well you can scale the efficiency.

--- End quote ---

60 ft might be more realistic, unless we can come up with a different construction method, I wonder if a limb could employ airplane wing technology.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version