Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Working on a giant bow to beat Allen Case!

<< < (8/14) > >>

willie:
I can, but wouldn't you rather have the numbers for your current design length, with the  20 stiff handle? what wood are you currently considering. etc ?? can furnish a few more specs?

Badger:
  Yes, I would prefer that. I used a virtual mass method for making a speed calculation and the dry fire speeds were much lower than I had hoped for. 

sleek:
IF 10gpp is the way to standardize all bows against each other, then arrow speed should be average.

( Im saying it wont)

But, with such a long draw this is gonna show what I have been saying for years, and hopwfully get rid of the 10 gpp rule. The draw length must be calculated into the formula when figuring out arrow weight.

Steve, this is not news to you, but I really hope this project reinforces this point of mine.

Badger:
  I base grains per pound on stored energy and not peek draw force. A bow drawing 10,000# but storing 100,000# energy because of the long draw is radically different than a 50# bow storing 48# energy. Grains per pound really doesn't work well on giant bows or miniature bows either for that matter. It does work well for normal size normal draw length bows.

willie:

--- Quote --- Yes, I would prefer that
--- End quote ---
Ok, I will try to "draw" the bow from scratch in woodbears spreadsheet,  what are your revised specs and dimensions?

--- Quote ---Grains per pound really doesn't work well on giant bows or miniature bows either for that matter.
--- End quote ---
If I understand you correctly, you are saying efficiencies do not scale well?  Besides the problem of finding quality staves for giant limbs, like Alan mentioned, what other reasons come to mind that might be the cause of lesser efficiency?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version