Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Working on a giant bow to beat Allen Case!

<< < (7/14) > >>

willie:

--- Quote ---  So arrow weight of 1/1000 of stored energy is what the testing will be using.
--- End quote ---
I am curious what draw weight you will tiller the 20 footer to,  in order to make the efficiency comparison?

Badger:
   I will do it by physical dimension but I believe it goes up 4 times while the stored energy goes up 8 times. I want to see how well this holds up when actually built as opposed to theory. I built a 25 footer for the Da Vinci show and it came our pretty much exactly how I planned weight wise.

Selfbowman:
Aluminum flag pole for arrow. Lol or a tele pole. Arvin

willie:
interesting scaling ratios, Steve. I plugged a 64" by 1.25"wide bendy handled  bow into a spreadsheet and scaled up times 5 to 26'8" x 6.25" wide x 3" thick

for the same strain,
the poundage went from 40 to 1000   or  40 x 5 x 5
the stored energy went from  36 to 4500  or    36 x 5 x 5 x 5
and the arrow speed at 10 gpp from 169 to 357 :P

the scaling of stored energy seems rather impressive, and an arrow of 1/1000 SE works out to  4.5 lbs or 31.5 gpp 
so if I plug a 4.5 lb arrow back into the calculator at that gpp, the fps drops back to  223

Badger:
  Willie, I am glad you did that, I used my primitive math skills to try and estimate speeds and was somewhat disappointed and about ready to throw in the towel. At 357 fps I am much more encouraged. Can you blow that up 1 more time and see what you get, say 52 ft

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version