Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Working on a giant bow to beat Allen Case!

(1/14) > >>

Badger:
  I am getting started on my giant bow project. 80 ft across. I am going to be forced to use a soft wood for the limbs because of the length. Looks like I will be limited to spruce, western red cedar or Doug fir. I realize I will have to make some serious design modifications but will need a little help from someone who can read the wood property mechanical sheets. What would be the best wood from those choices? I am also wondering how much less bend can I expect for a same thickness as a typical whitewood bow? I do plan to build several scale models and work up but am kind of looking for a starting point.

osage outlaw:
Just curious, but what kind of draw weight are you looking for?  What will you use for the string?  How are you going to draw it?  I hope you keep us updated with pictures as you go.

Danzn Bar:
You know you won't get the performance that you would out of osage......:)
DBar

avcase:
Steve,
You win!!!!!  Hahaha!

What is the history behind this project?  Does it have to be 80 feet long?  What about 20 feet?  I think it will be really challenging to do with any kind of wood.  I think the procedure required just to string this thing would be enough to kill me. A deflexed design might help in case you find it has to remain strung for long periods of time. Could you splice hardwood laminates together into some kind of mega-bow blank?

I bet the incredible scale of this project will give the neighbors something to talk about.

Alan

willie:
Steve

this came up earlier in another thread, I cannot recall what was said, but I ran some calcs in wood bears spreasheet on a  doug fir gluelam. you can buy any length up to 60' long at the local lumberyard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version