Author Topic: Yew bow build, short and wide, stiff handle, reflex/deflex limbs  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: Yew bow build, short and wide, stiff handle, reflex/deflex limbs
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 03:12:08 pm »
240m3srt:  "When you refer to getting most my bend from the middle 50% are you referring to where the deflex is at is lowest point?"

Yeah, pretty much.  I don't even know if this is "correct", but when I made a lot of R/D lam bows, it seemed that the deflexed portion was already pointed in the right direction for a strung bow, right?  It's also massive, usually kind of thick, and interacts with the fades.  Thus, if I make that area bend just a tad it moves the tips a lot and store a lot of energy with little bend.  So that's 25-30 of the limb length.

Then that middle 40-50%, the deepest part of the curve, the "turnaround" area still has the width to take more bend, it's thinner for low set, and in a lam bow has the advantage of the most "Perry reflex" benefits, so it takes the most bend.  If you save it and bend the limb further out, it defeats the purpose of the R/D profile, basically making it LOOK ok, but draw "whippy".

Then, part of the R/D benefit is good leverage later in the draw for a good F/D curve, etc.,  so you want to transition to fairly stiff tips in the last 25-30% of the limb, and they should be skinny if the bow is longer.

Of course, this all needs to be smoothed out at the transitions, etc, but this general thinking helps me finish decent R/D bows.

I think you are gonna make a killer bow, there.  I'm jelly of your yew.