Author Topic: handle glue up issue?  (Read 3202 times)

Offline JWMALONE

handle glue up issue?
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:26:00 pm »
Hey guys got a serious problem I think. After 75 shots I can feel the glue lines in the riser handle pieces I glued on, they are no longer smooth. I glued it up and let it sit 24 hrs then glued up the boo backing. Its the are on the belly were they taper don into the belly proper.
 What the heck can I do, if I keep shooting its gonna blow I'm afraid. really need to save this bow. If I heat it off (tightbond) I'm afraid it will affect the backing. There is 9/16 inch of ipe under it don't know if that enough to turn it into a d-bow. Any ideas?
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline JWMALONE

Re: handle glue up issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 02:11:28 pm »
cant see it but I can feel it, this is the area.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 02:18:14 pm »
Grind it off and glue up some more lams of a more suitable glue.   That's typical of TB btw.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 02:20:42 pm »
Is that hickory sandwiched in there? It looks like it. If such is the case, it might be swelling from moisture intake. I have an ipe very similar with a handle laminated from hickory and ipe, during certain times of the year I can also feel a bump and other times I cant.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 02:26:54 pm »
Its white oak. Its been sealed

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:51:03 pm »
Read the thread linked to and pay particular attention to DWS posts.  You need to follow that after switching your  glue.   Your fades still have a step rather than flowing imperceptibly into the limb.

Use the same wood(Ipe) for the intermediate lam so that you know everything is on the same page as far as how it reacts to any kind of stress.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,62336.15.html

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:39:41 pm »
Pat M, that's the way ive always done a glue up. My specs are almost exactly like DWS used in the one post, 9 inch riser block, 4 inch handle 2.5 inch dips or fades. I sanded it back some, it will not sand smooth, i saturated it with super glue sanded as smooth as posible and shot 25 arrows through it, no change.
There should be plenty of nice even transition from riser to limb so that its not over stressed, like DWS mentioned. This is the first time ive had this problem. Its not noticable to the naked eye, but i can feel it with my thumb nail, and knowing its there bugs the crap out of me.
Thanks guys, im gonna shoot it and see what happens, if it blows ill post it.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 09:07:23 pm »
DANG!
Looks like your dips dip into belly a decent distance. That's good thing.
Ya used thin lam as 1st part of riser build-up. That's good thing.
So I'd guess issue is the glue joint. A gap betwixt belly and lam and/or not enough adhesive.
I have gotten in habit of using epoxy (Unibond) for that joint. Then tb for remainder of riser build-up joints.
Hope it works out for ya!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:10:40 pm »
I would be curious to see the bow strung up, if you can.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 09:33:49 pm »
Thar she is. Ive been glueing with tight bond for 30 years, not bows but. I'm not above making a boo-boo, maybe its just a bad glue line?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 09:58:20 pm »
Man, I can’t see that that handle / fade area would be under enough stress to pop those lams. I can’t see the pics in detail, but is it only where the belly of the bow meets the maple, or is it on both sides of the maple lam?

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 10:06:39 pm »
Its on both the bottom were it meets the belly and the top were the second piece of ipe is glued on. On both ends of the riser. I figured it was flexing maybe not, but I don't understand why it wont sand smooth and stay smooth?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 10:23:33 pm »
How old is the glue? By chance could the glue have been exposed to a freeze? Have you had other successes from the same bottle? Use acetone?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 10:37:08 pm »
Is what is happening referred to as creep?

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 10:44:37 pm »
Glue is good, keep in a heated area with my paints and other stuff that cant freeze. Ive had success with other bows same design with this bottle.
Not sure what you mean by creep, think I do. My other bows I can run my thumb nail down and feel nothing. Maybe I didn't have enough clamp pressure?