Author Topic: Yew bow build, short and wide, stiff handle, reflex/deflex limbs  (Read 3613 times)

Offline NorthHeart

This will be my 4th Yew bow.  Originally i wanted it to be a recurve but i don't think i have enough reflex at the tips for this to end up happening when its braced.  Its 54" long and the limbs are 1-7/8" wide.  Im trying to figure out what the best width profile will be, meaning where to narrow the limbs so its not parallel all the way down.  I was also thinking a flat cross section and working limbs all the way to the tips.  I still have plenty thickness to go either way.  What do yall think? 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:47:14 pm by 240m3srt »

Offline NorthHeart

Re: Yew bow build, short and wide, stiff handle, reflex/deflex limbs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 11:49:30 am »
There was one area where a twig like growth protruded on the back, with little spots around it.  Reminded me of the pin knots on Osage where the thorns are.  but i haven't seen enough Yew to be familiar with this.  Knowing i was gonna rawhide back it i decided to cut right through it, you can see where it left brown beneath.  With it being in the center of the limb i don't think i should worry.  But when i heated it (i used heat gun and oil) bubbles came out making me think the little spots are hollow, so i wonder if i should let thin CA glue penetrate down in on the back and belly in this area?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:57:41 am by 240m3srt »

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 12:23:48 pm »
  Thats a nice looking bow, I would smooth out the transition area near the tips a bit more and call it good. If you take advantage of that parallel limb profile you will need to get a slightly increasing bend as it nears the transition area. I think I would keep the tips stiffer. Short bows allready have a tendency to stack and you don't pick up much bend in that area anyway. You have enough width you shouldn't need it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 01:41:54 pm »
What draw weight and length are you after?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 04:05:10 pm »
Thanks for the advice Badger.  Del- perhaps a max draw of 55# @ 24", so that its in the high 40's low 50's at my short draw of around 22-23". 

Offline Almosetx

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:33:36 pm »
It is good that we are involved in the question that came up.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 09:47:49 pm »
Big typo on my part.  I previously stated the length to be 48"...it is actually 54" long.

Offline simk

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 02:34:50 am »
A really nice piece of wood you have there - with my limited expierience I would do parallel limbs until the reflex starts and then do it pyramidal to the tips.

How did you make the deflex/reflex curves? Steam? Dry heat?

Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 03:08:20 am »
Big typo on my part.  I previously stated the length to be 48"...it is actually 54" long.
... and... relax...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 07:32:28 am »
You could start tapering your time tips 6 inches back.
Northern Ute

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 02:36:24 pm »
A really nice piece of wood you have there - with my limited expierience I would do parallel limbs until the reflex starts and then do it pyramidal to the tips.

How did you make the deflex/reflex curves? Steam? Dry heat?

Cheers
Gear oil and a heat gun.  I start at the handle and apply clamps outwards towards the limb tips.  This stave required a few heat sessions.  The weighted bucket came last, good for fixing a slight twist in one limb.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 09:46:43 pm »
  My mind was scrambling for what I would do, until you said 24" draw! 

Standard R/D stuff in that case.   Get SOME limb movement in the deflexed portion, but not enough to take set.  Get most of the bend from the middle 50% of each limb, and stiffen up toward the tips.  Don't get rid of too much width too early along the limb.  Tiller and stability, not tip weight, are your biggest concerns with this bow.

Wish I knew more about the little knot area.  I fill stuff like that with Minwax Wood Hardener and a syringe and hope for the best.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 09:50:53 am »
Springbuck-yep im a shorty on the draw length!  When you refer to getting most my bend from the middle 50% are you referring to where the deflex is at is lowest point?

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 10:57:30 am »
I started soaking my rawhide and realized that more heat corrections were needed in order to get the string to align with the handle.  I went a bit to far the first time, so took it back just a bit.  The pics show with a laser level how the string should split the center of the handle nicely now.  One limb is still a bit off as it has a curve mid length, but im at that point where i have to decide when to call it good.  Sometimes when you fix one thing another goes a bit out of wack.  You chase perfection back and forth but the wood can only take being heated so many times in my opinion before something starts to give and you wish you would have left well enough alone.  What do yall think?

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 01:31:02 pm »
I would get it close and call it good, like you said chasing perfection and something is bound to give.
Northern Ute