Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

shooting fixture

<< < (2/7) > >>

avcase:
I think that’s will work for a consistent arrow launch platform. Do you plan to use a small winch to draw the bow?  Do you want the thing to fire automatically at a pre-determined draw length, or will you fire it manually? What is your plan for the arrow rest?

You might consider adding an extension out the front to mount a chronograph too.

Alan

Jan de Bogenman:
I hope there will be lots of snow and time to work...great setup! Maybe a high speed camera?
Is it to compare speed of different arrow designs only? Or also arrow flight and take off, than maybe a mechanism to simulate finger release?

Jan

willie:

--- Quote ---Not so useful for wooden limbs tho'  >:(
--- End quote ---
Perhaps not, Del. It is primarily for experimenting with different arrows, but I did have a plan brewing about putting some shorter billets together into a sort of three piece all wood semi-takedown.

Alan, a chrono and some sort of steady draw + auto-trip release is definitely in the making. Haven't given the rest too much thought yet, but the space between the limbs is wide open to possibilities. I suppose that adjusting the height or centershot can be used to fine tune the arrow spine needed.

--- Quote ---Is it to compare speed of different arrow designs only? Or also arrow flight and take off, than maybe a mechanism to simulate finger release?
--- End quote ---
Yes, not only to compare initial speed of different arrow designs, but hopefully a way to evaluate cast and stabilization with arrows of identical weight, but different fletchings, FOC and spines, etc. I am sure the hard part for me as a archer will be seeing just what the difference is between the machine and my fingers once I put the limbs back on the factory riser.

DC:
Willie, I'm curious why you made it to just hold the limbs rather than the whole bow. Were you planning on experimenting with deflex angles?

willie:
Don,
not only the deflex angles, but I can move the limbs closer together or further apart by sliding the aluminum mounts in the unistrut. this will hopefully allow adjustment in the poundage, string tension at brace, and draw length, so that I can quantify how a specific arrow responds.

The pics below show the factory bow profiles. The mfg makes some surprising claims and warranties about the limb construction and durability with light arrows.  I probably have written too much about them on account of their forbidden f-word construction. This project is really about wood arrows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version