Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

shooting fixture

<< < (3/7) > >>

Selfbowman:
Willie is that for flight shooting ? I have a three piece I would maybe like to shoot at the flight shoot but don't know if there is a class for the three piece Longbows? Nice set up by the way. Arvin

avcase:

--- Quote from: Selfbowman on March 09, 2018, 06:45:40 pm ---Willie is that for flight shooting ? I have a three piece I would maybe like to shoot at the flight shoot but don't know if there is a class for the three piece Longbows? Nice set up by the way. Arvin

--- End quote ---

I had built a takedown bow a number of years ago that met the rules for primitive flight. It is really challenging however because metal fasteners are not allowed.  On my primitive takedown, I bound the limbs to a wood handle using numerous wraps of flax twine, but it was only good for a few shots before the limbs would start shaking free of the binding.

Takedown limbs for the modern Longbows were disallowed retroactively after my oldest daughter showed up with one and exceeded the standing record by a large margin. It took her 11 years to finally repeat that distance with a single piece bow. Under the present rules, 3-piece bows with bolt down limbs are shot with the Modern Field recurves.

Alan

joachimM:

--- Quote from: avcase on March 09, 2018, 07:48:39 pm ---
I had built a takedown bow a number of years ago that met the rules for primitive flight. It is really challenging however because metal fasteners are not allowed.  On my primitive takedown, I bound the limbs to a wood handle using numerous wraps of flax twine, but it was only good for a few shots before the limbs would start shaking free of the binding.

Takedown limbs for the modern Longbows were disallowed retroactively after my oldest daughter showed up with one and exceeded the standing record by a large margin. It took her 11 years to finally repeat that distance with a single piece bow. Under the present rules, 3-piece bows with bolt down limbs are shot with the Modern Field recurves.

Alan

--- End quote ---

What a pity! so bows like this one aren't even considered primitive? http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=38514.0

avcase:

--- Quote from: joachimM on March 15, 2018, 03:29:51 am ---
What a pity! so bows like this one aren't even considered primitive? http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=38514.0

--- End quote ---

Yes, this bow seems to meet the US Primitive Flight rules for a complex composite. It uses wood dowels and looks like natural material binding for the takedown feature. It does not meet the Modern American Longbow rules however.

Alan

willie:

--- Quote from: Selfbowman on March 09, 2018, 06:45:40 pm ---Willie is that for flight shooting ?
--- End quote ---
yes, I hope to be able to shoot at full range, and maybe also come up with some kind of backstop/target that can gently stop a fragile flight arrow at 75 yards or so.

--- Quote from: Jan de Bogenman on March 08, 2018, 02:25:00 pm ---maybe a mechanism to simulate finger release?
--- End quote ---
Jan, the more I think about your suggestion, the more useful something like that seems. Did you build a release to do that on your machine? I would be interested in how it works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version