Author Topic: THE DEATH OF A BOW..  (Read 4481 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
THE DEATH OF A BOW..
« on: March 23, 2008, 03:11:47 pm »
Despite all of the great advise and helpfull hints concerning bow building.. My inability to learn anything unless I do it myself cost me dearly this morning..my recent post of my first Osage bow ended in tragedy  :'( :'( :'(... after shooting about fifty arrows from her with great results.. I drew her one last time, the bottom limb broke off in one fluid motion right where the four growth rings showed ... on the good side her last arrow struck the mark .. I feel sorry for the bowyer who trusted me with the beautiful stave from which she came.. and hope my ignorance of the building process hasn't offended him with the end result.. I am still undetered.. and will build another.. soon.. I will post pics of the break and hope the bowers can help me determine exactly where I went wrong so as not to repeat the process.. I feel that i probably strayed from the single growth ring rule and thus caused the demise of her at such a young age....if there is a category for broken bow of the month I hope to enter her...  :-[ ;)   Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline kayakfisher

Re: THE DEATH OF A BOW..
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:45:47 pm »
Hawkbow sorry to hear that ,it is experience gained but man do not be afraid to get back up on that horse again ,also do not be afraid to back your bows with rawhide or sinew to me rawhide is easier to apply then sinew. My hat is off it was a nice looking bow, and to come so far on your first one was no easy task, Learn from mistakes and the next one will be even better . we have all been there
                                              Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:10:05 pm »
Tough break Mike :o
Did ya need clean pants after she broke ;) It happnes to everybody Mike and I do mean everybody.
Now you've joined the broken bow club and tell tall tales around the campfire 8)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:19:32 pm »
Sorry to hear that your first bow broke but it has happened(and will continue to happen) to all of us. You did a great job of tillering her but violated rings are usually the downfall of a wood bow. Hang on to this bow. She will teach you a lot in time to come. Just keep studying the break and she will teach you.
   I'm sure your bowyer friend will understand. If you are coming to the Classic, that will be a good opportunity to build a new bow with lots of teachers telling you what to do.  ;D     
   If you ain't breakin' em, you ain't makin' em!!! ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 05:01:55 pm »
I have never seen an osage bow with violated rings on the back last very long. This includes the first bow I made, even though it was sinew backed it only made it 30 shots or so. I chased rings on every osage bow I have made since and broken very few.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 05:18:20 pm »
Sorry to hear it, but it's happened to probably all of us. The tiller looked great, but looked like there were quite a few rings cut through on the back. If you can get the back of the next one worked down to a single ring and tiller it like that one, it'll probably last a lifetime.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 05:25:23 pm »
Yep, that osage won't forgive a violation. I am working one one right now that is tough and I am chaseing the back for about the 8th time. One little vilation will ruin a bow. Keep at it we all been there. Steve

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 05:28:12 pm »
I was hoping that you would heed the Advice before the Bow gave up the Ghost....so sorry that it didn't make it....I have a Corner in My Garage with my Memories and lessons learned....now it's time for you to start one yourself...it may be the First....but it wont be your last

Michael......El Destructo......Roberts
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 07:28:41 am »
Sorry to hear that.  She as a real beauty.  Like everyone said it happens to us all.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 07:44:00 am »
Sorry to hear that,Like Eric said,lesson learned.There is always the next one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:06:02 am »
We've all had bows break for one reason or another. Sometimes it can be a flaw in the wood that causes it to break. If there is any concern about the back being solid, probably should back the bow.

I'm working on an osage now that has a good sized worm hole going through the middle of one limb. Filled the hole with osage dust and tbIII...would have preferred a dowel, but the hole was angled and obround on the belly. I backed it with deer hide, and shot it for the first time yesterday. So far so good... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 11:37:19 pm »
Greg...I have one with three big Wormholes in it....and I never even filled them....and it is 3 years old and still going strong....so I bet She will stay together for ya.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:37:30 am »
Worm holes are ok and usually fatal except may be for the worm that was once in it.. I've had several go at full draw over the years. Neither one of those I want to repeat so I try to stack the odds in my favor. There are never any violated rings on any of my bows. Never. LOL at least not intentionally. If anyone tells you that backing the bow will insure it will not pop even though the a ring is violated then just remember how it feels when a bow explodes at full draw. Jawge:)
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 11:53:26 pm »
Sorry ta hear that Mike, but like everyone else said - learn from your mistakes and git back on that horse :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.