Author Topic: Shooting Machine - Arrow velocity - Projectile motion  (Read 3452 times)

Offline willie

Re: Shooting Machine - Arrow velocity - Projectile motion
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 11:26:00 am »
Greg, I read through the presentation poster a few times last night, and I hope you are open for a question or two. I am specifically interested in the sound/Audacity method. If I understand your set up correctly, you used one mic midway between the bow and the target? Then moved the target back some, and adjusted your equation for the second distance?

Since the equation above only gives the velocity at the distance of the target, it would be slower due to drag.

Wouldn't the speed be the average speed between the bow and the target, rather than the speed at the target?
Thanks

Offline gfugal

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 02:13:59 pm »
Greg, I read through the presentation poster a few times last night, and I hope you are open for a question or two. I am specifically interested in the sound/Audacity method. If I understand your set up correctly, you used one mic midway between the bow and the target? Then moved the target back some, and adjusted your equation for the second distance?
It doesn't matter where the mic is honestly. We did it that way because the shooting machine was noisy and had a hard time picking up the impact. However, if your shooting by hand or had a less noisy machine, It might be better to have the mic next to you or behind you. You want to be able to hear both the release and the impact. Like I said there is no right spot for the mic, you just have to measure the distance it is from the bow, and the distance it is from the target. If you move yourself or the target to shoot at a different distance you have to readjust the equation since those distances have changed. Did I include that equation on the poster? if not it can be found on pg 19 of this article https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1511/1511.02250.pdf

Since the equation above only gives the velocity at the distance of the target, it would be slower due to drag.

Wouldn't the speed be the average speed between the bow and the target, rather than the speed at the target?
Thanks
You are correct. It would be the average speed. However, there is still a decay, the average speed at 30 yards is going to be less than the average speed at 20. So I fibbed a little bit when I said it was the instantaneous velocity at the distance of the target. Most people wouldn't pick up on the idea of the whole average things as easily, so I used instantaneous Velocity as an easier way of explaining it. Regardless it shouldn't affect your ability to find the instantaneous velocity at release since the average of 1 yard is going to be pretty much that.

Another note I feel I should mention is that it's important to get several different readings at different distances in order to get that decay rate (unless you just cared about average velocity instead of instantaneous velocity at release). We originally wanted to do 20 yards, 25 yards, and 30 yards, but had an issue with changing draw lengths in the indoor range, so we only ended up with two viable distances. I would still go with at least three and I feel you would get a better slope for decay rate. It's also important to not shoot so close. There was a problem we were encountering in this thread ( http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,59214.msg821468.html#msg821468) where if you are shooting at too short of distances you have to be so much more accurate with your measurements, that even the difference of the arrow sound coming from the end of the arrow on release but the impact sound coming from the tip of the arrow on impact, made a big difference. It made it so you had to alter the equation to account for that arrow length to get accurate results. Even then it still had issues. I have learned that you probably don't want to shoot at any distances closer than 20 yards. I even think 15 yards would be pushing it. At further distances, the arrow length should be a negligible factor.

Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 04:35:30 pm »
With practice a human can outshoot the machine fairly easily.
I imagine so if they anchor too long with these wood bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 05:01:57 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Greg. Hope you do not think that I am trying to be too picky with my questions, in fact you answered the next one I had also!
Perhaps you might have an idea about how to accomplish a slightly different task with Audacity? I hope to devise a method that actually measures the velocity of a single shot at various points down range, rather than extrapolating it from an assumed decay rate. The decay rate is actually the subject of the investigation. 

Offline gfugal

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 05:24:29 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Greg. Hope you do not think that I am trying to be too picky with my questions, in fact you answered the next one I had also!
Perhaps you might have an idea about how to accomplish a slightly different task with Audacity? I hope to devise a method that actually measures the velocity of a single shot at various points down range, rather than extrapolating it from an assumed decay rate. The decay rate is actually the subject of the investigation.
I'm curious but not quite sure what you mean. are you talking about placing several mics at varying distance to pick up the arrow as it passes by? maybe you could do that with a whistling arrow and use the Doppler effect to determine when it passes the mic.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline willie

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 06:50:55 pm »
I'm curious but not quite sure what you mean. are you talking about placing several mics at varying distance to pick up the arrow as it passes by?
several mics is a worthwhile possibility. I was hoping to avoid shooting through a series of paper targets to create a noise at each station, it might affect the velocity too much. I will have to look into Audacity to see what a frequency signature looks like. A sharp peak would be nice.

All ideas are welcome   :)