Author Topic: Witch Hazel?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Witch Hazel?
« on: February 26, 2018, 06:52:57 pm »
TBB 4 has it at .60 SG and my home test about the same. Any experience with this wood? If so, any suggestions? Found a bunch of it big enough for bows.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Witch Hazel?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 07:41:33 pm »
A few years back a bunch of us cut some to try. None of us ever got to try. They twisted horrible and checked even faster. Never saw anything like that in regards to drying wood. We cut in August.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline M2A

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:16:01 am »
I cut some last summer.

Its a very pretty wood, Pink cast even some figure in the grain on the 1 piece I thinned down. Put some oil on that and it would look so nice.

I had same experience as Pearl Drums. I still have 2 pieces in my shop not split yet that may have held up better.

Very soft wood, look at it funny and it will dent or scratch. If I ever try one of them I would try and take bark and cambium off with a power washer so to not harm back(I have never tried this method before). Also seems very light. I'm sure some day I'll look back into working with it....

Going from memory. There are 2 different species, Not sure what one I have. Maybe one is better than other.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck if you decide to try. :D Mike 

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:53:50 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. I roughed out a green bow yesterday and clamped it down. A little checking in the handle when I looked this morning, but not too bad. I'll let ya know...
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 10:06:44 am »
Keep it somewhere cool, damp and dark. You might have a shot at keeping it together.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 06:52:31 pm »
Will do.  :OK

Nigerian Proverb