Author Topic: Picture for help  (Read 1844 times)

Offline BrewerMo

Picture for help
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:34:59 pm »
Can anyone share a picture of a shag bark hickory stave with the bark removed properly? My internet is poor right now, so YouTube isn't an option and I'm having trouble finding any pictures for reference.
Thanks in advance....👍

Offline TimBo

Re: Picture for help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:24:05 pm »
Do you have the Bowyer's Bible?  I think there is a good photo in Vol. 1 (probably the Other Woods chapter) showing a stave cut in the summer (nice clean back, everything peels off because the sap is up) and one cut in the winter (sort of a camo pattern with some of the last bit of cambium left on).  It is a lot harder to get the clean look with winter harvested wood, although you can steam it softer and gently scrape it off with something dull like a spoon if you don't like the mottled/camo effect.

Offline BrewerMo

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:37:31 pm »
I do not have the bible yet but I plan to order one. I'm assuming the cambium layer is the more tan layer under the bark?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:55:46 pm by BrewerMo »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:46:34 pm »
It should be a smooth creamy white color wood.  Have you ever pealed the bark off of a sapling during the spring or early summer?  It should look like that.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:58:26 am »
Yep, all of the tannish stuff on the edges of your photo needs to go.  It comes off pretty easily, except that you have to make sure not to cut into the white part, which will be the back of the bow.  It's fine to leave some paper-thin bits.

This thread has a good photo of what it that would look like.  You can also use a power washer (mentioned in the thread) to get it really clean.  I usually do the steam a bit/scrape a bit method, but it is tedious.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,62454.msg875008.html#msg875008

Offline BrewerMo

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 01:03:36 pm »
Good deal..... thanks
.....👍

Offline BrewerMo

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 07:02:21 pm »
Made a little more progress this evening. Smashed a few rocks as well......😁

Offline BrewerMo

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 06:29:10 pm »
Made a little more progress tonight. Do I need to remove more of the cambium layer? Also, at what stage would I straighten this stave?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 08:26:50 pm »
I’ve only done one winter cut hickory stave, so this may not be across the board. I started tillering at the stage you are at now. Cambium was constantly lifting like splinters. Sometimes it would tick or pop fairly loud making my heart sink. I wound up spending a long time scraping every little bit of cambium out of the furrows that I could with the round blade on my pocket knife. I will not do another winter cut hickory if I can help it lol.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 08:33:07 pm »
Get the bow roughed out and flexing a little before straightening.   Less wood is easier to bend. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:09 pm »
Most guys take off a bit more than that, but be really careful not to cut into the white wood.  If you want to scrape more off, try getting the cambium damp first.  I have sprayed bits at a time, although next time I have one of these I am going to drape a damp rag over the stave until the cambium softens up.  Then scrape with a dull edge. 

Offline BrewerMo

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 08:10:56 pm »
Thanks for the help. I am going to clean it up a little more and start laying it out I guess.