Author Topic: Rawhide backing  (Read 979 times)

Offline Greg DeJanes

Rawhide backing
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:15:56 pm »
 Did first nation peoples use rawhide to back bows without sinew. Has anyone known Osage to be backed with rawhide by native peoples?

Trying to decide what I want to do with an Osage stave I'm working on. 

Thanks, Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:06:19 pm »
Greg, I think I've seen Native rawhide backed bows but I don't know if they were osage. I don't back any bows unless they need it. Osage is very strong in tension so unless a ring was violated or other possible future problems they go naked.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:35:21 pm »
 I agree I would not either. Problem is the stave has very tight rings. Also has longitudinal cracks. It's been a job so far. I've decided to play it safe and have backed it. Now trying to decide how primitive to finish it. I began going for the Osage tribe bow on page 106 of Native American Bows, Arrows & Quivers.

I would think that rawhide was surly used at some time but, I find no info. to verify this.

Thanks again,
Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:24:58 pm »
I doubt it would have been a regular thing especially in areas with high humidity and regular rain. Being in the outdoors most of the time would detract from the bow's performance. This is strictly just a guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 06:49:07 pm »
Interesting !  I was reading some old post and found one by Mark St. Louis. He comments and shows a photo of an Algonquin bow backed with rawhide . It is HHB and was displayed in a museum. I guess us primitive bow makers should not feel so guilty using rawhide without sinew to back LOL.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 05:36:33 am »
That bow was a reproduction bow I believe.

Ishi rawhide backed bows which he made at the museum but it's hard to say if he showed Pope the method or vice-versa.