Author Topic: HHB Shorty  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: HHB Shorty
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 06:40:09 pm »
"but string lays centered so we'll call it good."

If it survives to full draw, feels balanced in the hand, doesn't lean sideways, generally does what I intended it to do (like the recurves don't pull out), and shoots, I'm pretty happy.

Your bow looks great unstrung, strung, and pulled.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 08:10:31 pm »
Great looking bow! Short bows are hard to make, so kudos to you for a nice bow  :) I am like you, I love HHB!

Offline barebo

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 08:16:17 pm »
Thanks Springbuck - I feel exactly the same way! - this one surprised me. I originally had this stave 65" and was planning a static. I boiled the tip for an hour and when I took it out of the caul, it was split pretty bad. It ended up a 58" stave after I cut the split off and trimmed the other end to match. It was already pretty well roughed out to shape so I decided to just put a bit of reflex in the tips and see what happens. It was holding weight like crazy and the shavings pile was growing but it finally came around.
Sometimes this bow making can drive you to cuss, but it's darn hard to stop the addiction! Thanks Philipp - I'll be cutting a few more HHB trees this spring - it's my "go to" favorite.

Offline simk

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 06:47:48 am »
Dear Barebo

I mixed up hornbeam/hop hornbeam.

So only Hornbeam (without backing) is recommended to shoot with full face helmet  8)

Yours is safe.

Cheers

--- the queen rules ----

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 07:03:46 am »
Nice job barebo I'm working on a HHB short bow right now. Been working  with Osage a lot lately forgot how much harder to rasp HHB is especially when heat treated. It is a good bow wood though and I've made most of my bows from it. The one I'm working on now has a exceptionally smooth back. Not much caricature but a really nice piece of wood. It is much harder to bend than Osage to. Do you use a metal backer strip? I usually boil for at least an hour and the last 15 minutes I turn up to a very hot rolling boil. It still can make trouble though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 08:00:06 am »
Great looking bow. Nice work! I love that arrow rest.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 08:05:01 am »
Very well done and way to adapt and overcome from your original plans. I would say you nailed it.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline rps3

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 09:59:10 am »
Thanks for posting the unbraced picture, I really like that bow.

Offline barebo

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 03:28:05 pm »
Bjrogg - I do have a metal backer strip on my caul, and think I simply left the tips a bit too wide and maybe thick also. I made a true 90 degree static from HHB a few years ago and the hooks were just over 4" and they bent like butter.  I'll thin the next one down and try it again.

Thanks guys for the feedback - this one made me crazy a few times, but I just slowed down and removed wood little by little till it came around - it taught me patience!