Author Topic: Re-tiller? Sinew backed osage  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Re-tiller? Sinew backed osage
« on: February 15, 2018, 12:59:51 am »
I have 2 sinew backed osage flatbows I made last year when we lived in OH.  Both are finished with several coats of Massey finnish and waxed.  Over the summer we moved to the mountains in north west New Mexico.  This has been a huge humidity and climate change for me and my bows.  Elevation around 7500 ft, not sure if that's a factor as well.

The first one was at 48# @28" when we left OH, now it's at 54#.  I really like it right where it is.  Much more snappy and it doesn't really feel like as much of an increase as it is .

The second one has quite a bit more reflex than the first, measures 64" NTN with rigid handle.  When we left it was 54# @ 28".  I'm  comfortable shooting a bow up to about 55-56#, but it has jumped up to 62# and I'm not able to pull it more than 25 to 26 inches and my form is all off.  So as far as I'm concerned it is unshootable right now.

We have very dry weather here right now but there should be a monsoon period this summer.  Should I leave it as is and plan to shoot it during the warmer more humid monsoon months?  Giving the other bow a break.  Or being that we're pretty dry the rest of the year will it not really shed too much weight so would I be better off with a re-tillering?

Thanks guys.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Julian

Re: Re-tiller? Sinew backed osage
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 06:14:24 am »
Interesting problem you have there!

I don't know much about it but I'm in here hanging out for the answer.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:38:03 am »
Make the bow so you can shoot it at the optimum time, when it is dry. Waiting for more humid times can cause more set and drop the efficiency of the bow. During the wet season store the bow in a drier environment.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 08:49:30 am »
Why did your feel the need to sinew back a 64" osage bow?

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:43 am »
Several reasons actually.  I'm still a bit of a novice, it only has 28" of working limb on each half and I couldn't find a definitive answer on the physics of working limb length vs total length and my draw length is long, I was able to get a good amount of reflex,  and most importantly I love working with sinew.   

I should probably get checked out.  I can spend a whole afternoon putting on one strand at a time and just be in my happy place.  Heck, I've even sinewed on wood tool handles like rasps and files, works great for keeping the two together.  I enjoy the whole process from pounding and pulling to making hide glue.  I think it's in my DNA.  Any excuse to play with sinew is good day.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:47:25 am by dieselcheese »
-Homer Simpson-

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 11:15:10 am »
I'm with Aaron, I would never sinew back a bow that long.  Just adding excessive mass.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 07:16:30 pm »
Back to the original question.
I agree with Pat. Tiller it for yourself when you will most likely use it and if it loses a bit other times at least you can still shoot it if you want.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 08:35:28 pm »
Sounds like a plan.  Thanks guys.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 01:16:29 pm »
  diesel,
              Not sure if the sinew alone is necessarily the culprit here...I have had unbacked bows of Osage gain weight over a period of time...Humidity, temperature and seasoning can affect wood bows for sure... Since I don't do glue ups I have been guilty of sinewing lengthy bows for some added security on a questionable back...A few feet per second vs a failure during a hunt is a good trade off for me...
             For me, I would vote to reduce weight if I couldn't shoot it properly...Your bow may have seasoned and stay where you put it now...I used to read about dry vs seasoned and now realize young dry Osage will season and may increase in draw weight...This has happened to me more than once  ;)
                                                                                                                                            Don
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:08:01 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;