Author Topic: Help with shooting new bow?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Help with shooting new bow?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 08:28:59 am »
Bump your brace height a 1/2" to start with, then tweak from there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 09:39:28 am »
You can keep on trying to sort chaff from wheat, or you can get a copy "Modern Methods in Archery," by Reichart and Keasey. It was written in the 1930s and is the best uncluttered book I know of about shooting a wooden bow like the ones we make.

The book is available used at Amazon for about $30. Keasey was a two-time national champion archer.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:59 am »
I never needed an arm guard when shooting FG recurves because brace heights are set greater.

I sure do now.

I find opening  my stance helps me. Left foot to the left a little bit for a righty.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 06:19:21 pm »
Thanks again everyone!  A bit difficult to wrap my head around all the comments but I'm guessing it's some kind of combination.  I wasn't able to shoot after work today because of the weather(pouring rain in Buffalo,NY in February! Pretty strange!). But I was able play with my grip a bit and I definitely think that is part of my issue, along with not bending my elbow.  I'll give it a shot tomorrow or if my kids actually go to sleep at a reasonable time tonight I can shoot in the basement.  Thanks again.