Author Topic: Help with shooting new bow?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Ben.Kellerman

Help with shooting new bow?
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:31:11 pm »
I'm new to the whole world of archery and recently finished my first bow(and almost done with my 3rd!). Is this normal and I just need to put some sort of padding on my arm or am I doing something wrong?  I didn't really notice the string whacking my arm that hard while shooting but after a hundred arrows or so I came inside and started feeling the sting!  Any help would be great! Don't really feel like getting this beat up every time I shoot my bows.  Thanks!

Offline JWMALONE

Re: Help with shooting new bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:32:53 pm »
You need an arm guard to start.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:40:03 pm »
Ben,
   It's the way you hold the bow. turn your hand to the right a little, not straight up, and down. slightly bend at the elbow. you need to grip the bow with mostly the thumb part of you hand with about a 45 degree angle on bow handle.
 I used to even tear up arm guards, until a friend of mine showed me the right way. haven't used one in years now.
  Steve

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:41:09 pm »
Kind of an odd place where you are getting hit. You do need an arm guard but also see if you can have a friend familiar with shooting to see how you are holding the bow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:42:41 pm »
  We posted at the same time Steve, for the record I never have worn an armguard but do get nailed every once in a while, usually on dryfire.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 06:45:23 pm »
I made a D bow that was beating me up really bad. It was all in my hold on the bow. Yes, wear an arm guard, but try holding the bow where the fingertip pad of your ring fingers and middle finger  is on the center line of the back of the handle . Your thumb if extended straight out making a 45-60° angle to the bow handle. It looks as though the whelp is on the low part of your forearm and your arm needs to rotate away from the string. That’s what worked for me anyway. Good luck.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 06:46:45 pm »
You might also be rolling your hand to the outside to be hitting that far up your forearm.   Possibly hyperextending your elbow even.

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 06:53:20 pm »
hey Badger,
  Man I think I learned everything the hard way. When I came home from the Navy, I wanted to get into bows again, after years. I got so frustrated hitting my arm, that I threw my bow on the ground, and would leave it overnight, (compound). I found out that a couple of my old high school buddies had an archery shop, as soon as I walked in the store, and shook hands with him, he said, let me show you how to stop hitting your arm. After 5 minutes, I never need a guard again.
  You are right, seek experienced help.   Also tying to pull too much weight  will make you turn your wrist inwards too.
   Steve

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 07:18:33 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I'm kind of on an island in the primitive archery area in my circle of friends and family.  Everyone I know uses compounds.  I'll see if I can get some one to video me and I'll post it on here.  I feel extremely behind in asking but is there videos I should watch for basic shooting mechanics?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 07:41:04 pm »
When I grip my bow the only thing on the back of the handle is my thumb and the crook of my thumb. My palm is on the side. I also bend my bow arm elbow just a little bit. I also keep string lined up in center of handle. If it's to close to arrow side of handle it's easy to get slapped. I've never had a arm gard but probably should. Sometimes my shirt will catch string messing up my shot.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:21 pm »
Are ya getting wacked right below the elbow? if so are you rotating the elbow? That's what it looks like.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 08:20:19 pm »
Bend your elbow slightly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sabb

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 10:02:07 pm »
That looks like the mark you get from a rotated elbow. Rotating your humerus from the shoulder changes the effective width of your elbow. An option I get people to try is to hold the normally, bend the now arm at the elbow until the bow is against their chest, then straighten the elbow while maintaining shouldet position. I explain it badly, but it often helps.

Anyway, I suspect elbow rotation. Hope this helps.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 12:16:48 am »
What string material are you using? I used to get whacked when I used B50, as soon as I switched to D97, or fastflight, I don't get whacked. I no longer where a wrist bracer. Proper form is still important to prevent getting whacked tho.
Eric

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 07:50:03 am »
I bend bow arm very slightly now and can shoot without an arm bracer.When first starting to shoot self bows it used to hit my wrist area sometimes.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed