Author Topic: Anybody used Defthane polyurathane?  (Read 15451 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: Anybody used Defthane polyurathane?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 12:38:46 am »
I was thinking about putting a coat of wax over the finished bow. Do you think it would work over spar urathane? What kind of wax do you use? I was wondering if just some pledge furniture polish might be good enough.   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 02:09:39 pm »
Pledge should work well, just so you don't have too much shine. I had a can of nice paste wax around somewhere, but I'm sure any good one will be fine on your finish..Do  a test piece if you have any doubt.

Big meet next weekend so I'm leaving most of my bows real shiny. FG guys like that dipped in plastic look so I have a few bows which cater to them.

Rich

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 03:08:38 pm »
most who use paste wax have used car wax or floor wax. ive finished 3 bows with helmsman spar and car wax and havent had a problem yet. i have a target in the back of my garage that i shoot at after dark. i was standing right outside the garage shooting and i got a lil too close. the upper limb of my bow smacked against the header above the door when i released. didnt hurt the hickory bow or the finish. it was quite an impact right above mid limb so i think that spar is pretty tough stuff.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 11:38:26 pm »
Well thats good to hear that its tough. I used the spar urathane spray today and it was looking great until it fell out of the clamp and landed on a dirty floor :'( Its not so pretty right now with dog hair and dust stuck to it :D Im hoping I can just lightly sand off the last coat once it dries.   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 12:42:07 am »
I  just use minwax polyurathane, spray can and brush on. I also put a coat of maguires cleaner wax over the top of the poly. I never had any luck with tung oil or tru oil, it tends to flake off when it gets wet.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 09:47:35 am »
The problem with regular poly is its not made for outdoor use and isn't very UV tolerant.
Spar varinish is weather resistant as it was used for boats. Never seen tung oil or true oil flake before.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI