Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Bare shafting flight arrows

(1/7) > >>

DC:
Can you bareshaft a flight arrow? I'm wondering about the lack of weight forward. I've read of some using bone tips and such. Wouldn't the arrow just go all over.

Selfbowman:
D.C. I have not had success bareshafting flight arrows. But I am a cub at this flight stuff. I usually just keep trimming the fletchings till they start getting unstable. It won't take much fletch though. Arvin

Del the cat:
If you like smashing hours of work it's fine  >:D
IMO, they are so twitchy and even more so without flights, it's virtually impossible as they will likely be flexing hard when they hit the target and may well snap.
I gave up trying it after smashing a couple. Even fletched is very risky at short range.
As far as I can tell the only way you'll see what's happening is with high speed photography or empirical range testing.
If you look at this (rather extreme) example. If you shot this into a target at 10 yards and prob even 20 yards it would prob' snap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOcrM7FMQSI
Del

DC:
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Badger:
  I pretty much figure if I can see them going away my spine was too weak or too strong. The ones I can't see are always the best shots. As a general rule anything going over about 350 yards you won't be able to see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version