Author Topic: First serious bow  (Read 9040 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: First serious bow
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 12:43:36 pm »
 I am tillering along and then I notice that I am begining to see a propeller twist to the limbs.What am I doing wrong?  Frank

Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 02:08:02 pm »
Is it just twisting when you pull or is the twist there when it is relaxed? Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 04:05:49 am »
It shows up at 16 inches on the tillering stick.I scraped off some wood on the outbound side of the twist and un-braced her.No sign of twist in either limb un-braced.I will put her back on the stick and work along the draw until I start seeing them start to twist.It looks like most of the twist is in the outer third of the limb.Should I continue to scrape the outbound side until I eliminate the twist ?  Frank

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 10:56:35 am »
Sounds like you have it figured out.  I would measure the thickness on both sides of the limb to see if they are close to even. When you have problems like this it is best to study them. You can sure learn a lot from problems and mistakes. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 04:32:41 am »
I have my bow about tillered to my draw length.I still have a little propeller in the limbs although the string is about perfectly centered.Anyone got a suggestion? Should I resort to dry heat or leave it since it's centered or is there yet a tillering thing I can do?I also have a little room to narrow the tips.  Frank

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 04:56:04 am »

looking good but pic #1 doen't open up for me...

frank
Frank from Germany...

Iron Leg

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 08:22:41 pm »
My 2 cents .. Leter fly, string close to center or off to the upper limb side.
put an arrow  in her & let er go.. Have fun it is suppose to be primitive

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 02:21:47 pm »
  Iron leg   I think you've got something there.Reckon I'll finish her up and go to shooting.I forget that I have been making arrows for years and that the first ones were'nt near as perfect as the ones I make now.I think it might be a darn nice bow for a first bow and I have learned so much from it.I've got two hickory staves waiting and four really big fat Black locust that I split years ago,big enough I might get 7 or 8 bows outa them. I'll post a picture as soon as I finish the handle,sand her down and put some waterproofing on her.(Rains here all the time)   Frank

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 10:50:54 pm »
Full draw.54 Lbs.@28" What are you guys seeing ? The weight I was supposed to take this to according to the book(T.B.B. 4) Is 50 lbs,so I've got a little room to tiller yet. Tell me what you think.  Frank

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 02:36:40 am »
Nice Bow....but it looks to me like the Top Limb is bending more than the Bottom one is...

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
Re: First serious bow/New picture
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 01:27:08 pm »
yeah...that becomes very apperent with the eliptical line drawn in.I now need to get the bottom limb working the same as the top but then will I have too much bend in the middle of the limbs? or does that matter? I really appreciate your help. Thanks  Frank

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 10:15:07 pm »
The Bottom Limb is perfect....but you cant put the Wood back on the Top!!!   >:D  I myself....would leave it alone...you want the Botton a little Stiffer than the Top anyways...but not necessarily that much....but I don't think that I would weaken the Bottom to match the Top....lets see what others chime in with....... I like the Bow....I would shoot Her the way it is....and enjoy it....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 12:41:36 am »
 I worked on those limbs a bit, actually got them pretty evened  up,down to 52 lbs@ 28".Target weight is 50 lbs.so.....I reckon that is going to do it.I will sand and mess with the handle tommarrow,get my wife to take another picture that I will post and see what you guys think. Thanks for the input.I have learned a ton and will start on a stave bow right away.   Frank

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 12:46:26 am »
looking very good! wish my first was that nice!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 05:08:43 pm »
I think that you will find that if you shoot that bow for a while that bottom limb will settle in a little closer to the top as far as bend goes.  I would definitely shoot it a while ( couple hunnerd arrows) Then see where it sits...if retillering is needed then go ahead but I bet it won't