Author Topic: boom  (Read 1412 times)

Offline trail walker

boom
« on: February 07, 2018, 01:39:00 pm »
I blew up my first sinew bow? :'( (--) i had a spot on the back of the bow that felt like it was loose. kind of like a bubble, and that is where it busted. After it exploded i was able to peel off the sinew, is that not good. maybe more hide glue?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: boom
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 01:41:23 pm »
Not good. It shouldn't peel off without a lot of elbow grease and warm water. I've never removed sinew, but read several posts in where the bowyer soaked the bow in water in order to remove the sinew in a sheet. Pat B had to do that to his Elky bow I believe.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:42:45 pm »
Did you degrease the back well?
Eric

Offline trail walker

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »
hmm. I used dawn dish soap  a scrub brush and very hot water for like 15 minuets to get the grease off it.  And i was using Knox gelition for the glue. and PD i pulled it off pretty easy, i still have both of the the sinew strips.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:40:14 pm »
You may have squeezed too much glue out before you laid each section down. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 02:44:59 pm »
Did you size the back with the same glue prior to applying the sinew?

Offline trail walker

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 03:01:28 pm »
yes i put a coating of the glue on the back of the bow before i started laying the sinew. but i am kind of wondering if my glue was a little watery when i sized it. And i was pressing on it petty hard with my dowel rod to make the sinew lay down flat.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 03:02:23 pm »
Did you use oil for any heat bending?  I had a sinew backing come loose like that and it was because I used oil for heat corrections and didn't degrease the back good enough.  I quit using oil and started cleaning the backs with acetone.  The hot soapy water should also work. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline trail walker

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 03:13:50 pm »
I used mule deer tallow and the kitchen stove. The bow was juniper and while i had floor tillerd the bow it had taken some string follow and i tried to bend it into a reflex/deflex bow.