Author Topic: Workin' On One...  (Read 2533 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Workin' On One...
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:09:47 pm »
Haven't been on PA in a while.  Won't even try to read all that I've missed.  Nevertheless now that hunting season is over, I've been working on a bow.  I'll post pics tomorrow.  Hope I can pull it off....
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/Smileys/default/firstBow03.gif
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Workin' On One...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 01:14:56 pm »
Good to hear from you Matt.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you are working on.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:44:38 pm »
Good to hear from you Matt. I just started working on that Osage blank I traded you red fox for at Marshall. Real nice piece of wood. Look forward to seeing the one your working on.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:46:03 pm »
Good hearing from you too.  Been away for too long.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 04:36:09 pm »
I was just wondering about you yesterday. Hope all is well with you and the rest of the Wirwicky's. Looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:43:47 pm »
How's it going Matt?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:28:46 am »
Hi Ya Bud - Welcome back  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 08:02:55 am »
Nice to see you post, Matt.  Looked like you did have a busy hunting season this year, good for you.  Looking forward to seeing what you work up, you always come up with good design!

Getting excited for TN, already.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 05:12:54 pm »
You are always welcome back!  Something you may have missed if you don't go back and read all the older posts is my annual invitation to you to come out for Turkey Camp.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:56:03 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome back, guys!  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/Smileys/default/grin.gif

JW - Turkey camp?  I did miss that!  That would be a real hoot.  Where did you send it?

So, Last weekend the annual Traditional Bow Hunters Expo was held at Kalamazoo, MI.  For several years, I've done sinew backing demonstrations, most of the weekend.  The good thing is it forces me to do it.  This is what I'm now in the middle of.  All have two layers on all.  Will finish up with 3 layers at home.

The bow in the back, is one that I'm really excited about.  It is 56" long.  The billets were from wood I happened upon about 20 years ago.  It was cut in 1950.  Finally, thought of something to try with them.  I hope to pull this one off. 

The middle bow is also 56" long.  More like Jay Massey's favorite style, it is a design that I really like.  I'm shooting for a 28" draw (stiff handle) though I shoot 26"  The bow above also am shooting for 28" draw.  We'll see how it goes.

The front bow, is a 48" OAL design that I copied from a bow that Seabass inherited.  It was a flight bow from a lady who used to compete, professionally.  It was a real cool piece that I had to try to build.  This will bend slightly in the handle, near the end of the draw.  Probably shoot for 24".  Don't want to overdo this one. 

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 08:04:06 am »
  Looking forward to following your progress Matt.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:18 am »
Yup, looking forward to seeing these.  They all look interesting, Matt.
1’—>1’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 08:47:03 am »
Knew you were up to something. Those all look great so far. I'm really going to have to see your sinew demonstrate next year.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:47:33 am »
Good stuff. Didn't that flight bow have wicked practically 90 degree tips though?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 09:10:22 am »
Looking top shelf, Matty. I agree, that back one is one Id love to see come around for you. It has a fantastic profile.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.