Author Topic: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)  (Read 69520 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2008, 12:19:08 pm »
 Thats a sweet blade ther Happy Knapper. 

For all those on the NW side. Check out the "Shoots and events" thread  about our Central Oregon Primitive Bowyers Gathering.

Offline Allen7

« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2008, 12:01:45 am »
Sorry, but I won't be able to make it to the central Oregon bowyer gathering.   I have another commitment.   Here is a photo of the knife I traded the large lizard skin blade for.    I participated in a Kassai horseback archery competition in B.C., Canada this past weekend.  I did fairly well, just one point below my highest score.  Had a fantastic time riding and shooting arrows, throwing hawks and spears, cracking the whip, knapping a few arrowheads, and sitting round the fire eating salmon and buffalo stew.   Here is one of the few arrowheads I knapped and gave away. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Keenan

« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2008, 01:29:46 am »
 Very nice Allen, thats a cool looking blade and the point is a beaut as well. Sorry ya can't make this one.  Maybe next year, but if your in the area give a call and drop by for a visit.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2008, 02:02:34 am »
 Them are great looking goods.How long a point was that ?  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Allen7

« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2008, 03:45:27 am »
That Mahogany point was 2 3/4" long.   Made a few others for gifts while I was up north.   Promised to make an obsidian knife for someone, so I need to get to work on some of the larger pieces again. 

Allen -  Happy Knapper

Offline Allen7

« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2008, 12:39:33 pm »
Finished with this large point last night.   Took me about an hour and 45 minutes from start to finish.   This was out of a nodule from the midnight lace pit.   5 7/8 inches in length.  Translucent with one diagonal black stripe.

Allen  - Happy Knapper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2008, 12:42:19 pm »
Beautiful points,you do mighty fine work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2008, 03:37:33 am »
Man, you are turning out some nice blades! sorry you couldnt make the gathering, we had a blast. I have been struggling with making large stuff, keep breaking them. need to slow down once I get them thinned.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2008, 01:57:25 pm »
I have the same problem! I start to get it real think an then end snap it! URRRR!!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2008, 01:21:02 pm »
  Hey ! My wife and I are going to be running around the Northwest and western U.S. in Nov. and Dec. and I want to post some pictures and commentary on what we see.
 I will post on this thread unless that ain't good ,and then I'll start a new thread.  I'll mostly be in the northwest states.
 I want to cut down some tree's (For bows of course), drink some micro-brews,pick-up some rocks,take some pictures of native rock art,animals,people,etc...etc...
We will be going down to Bellingham,  Washington on the ferry from  Juneau, Alaska Nov. 4th to the 7th. There is a rock and gem show at Puyallup fairgrounds starting the day we get down there that we're gonna take in on account that there is some Knappers going at it there and I got an invite to sit in,(Maybe I will start work on Keenan's point swap point there  ::)
I am trying to get a self-bow built to take with me,and may have to finish it on the trip. I'd love to hunt a muley while I am down there !
 It'll show folks around the country how things look in the northwest and may even entertain a bit.  Frank

Offline Keenan

« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2008, 03:06:22 pm »
 Frank, Really looking forward to you coming down.  Big your bow, if it's not finished we can head out to the shop and do whatever. We can also rattle Juniper Junkies cage and Blacktail as well and get a few people together.
 About the Muley, there is a late Blacktail hunt that is mostly on the west side of the Cascades during that time. The upper part of the state is starts Nov.22th And the southwestern is Nov.15.   
  Bear and cougar are open as well.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2008, 06:35:06 am »
 Frank ,Look forward to seeing the pictures and keep us updated on the fun you are having.
Sounds like a good time and to get a little hunting  and bow building in to boot,Can't
do better than that.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2008, 08:33:37 am »
Yep, seems like a good life up in the Northwest as well! I think the potential is there for a goodlife where-ever, as long as you're engaged in the right activities!  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2008, 09:34:19 pm »
 Keenan  I will have my B.L. with me on the trip.I reckon I will Have to bring some arrow materials with me as well just in case.Thank you for the invite.If I make it down there I will definitely let you know I'm down there a little ahead of time.The itinerary is pretty loose right now.
 I hope to get some kinda Muley deer hunt in somewhere's, but right now it is just a hope. I just want to hunt out of the rain for a few days.See some open country and a few of my favorite deer.(At least take a few pictures of them)
 Surprisingly we got Snow flurries here today,might get out for a little hunt tomorrow morning.(Sitka blacktails) This will make the brown bears start thinking seriously about going into the den.
 You Tennesseans seem to be having a fine fall.I hope all continues to be good.It sure looks from the post like you guy's are having some fine times down there.I hope to make it down there sometime to meet some of you and cook you up some Halibut. Ha ! You guy's look like you could use some food.
 Then yes indeed,I will post some photo's and such while on the journey.    Frank

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2008, 10:57:51 am »
 Winter has come to Hoonah.  Three days ago it was fall. Snowed 3 or 4 inches yesterday,so went out to the hills to look for deer.
My wife (Margie Anne) saw one waay up in the top of a clearcut,so I worked my way up there to take a look,turned out to be a button buck,passed on him but he kept looking over into a patch of spruce saplings,so thought there was probably a deer in there,but it never showed.(mighta been his mamma). saw another deer in the same clear cut but it was looking at me and walked off into a alder thicket and on up into the big timber,let it go on as it was getting close to dark.I was at the bottom of the cut and he was up at the top.Our cut's are on very steep hill's here.(Everything is on steep hills here) You pull yourself up hanging on to bushes and young tree's or walking up the plunge creeks( and/or both).
Snowing again this morning,will prabably head back up there and see what is going on.
 Good day to all.  Frank