Author Topic: Takedown sleeve problems  (Read 991 times)

Offline Salsify

Takedown sleeve problems
« on: January 28, 2018, 02:10:18 pm »
So I decided to try out a takedown D sleeve on a flatbow of mine. I opted to use only one brass sleeve and attached that and the steel with MT-13. I’ve been very carefully sanding and fileing the brass end for hours and it bareley fits half an inch. I checked the unused brass sleeve and it fits fine. Perhaps the other one got deformed somehow? Should of checked the damn thing before I glued I know, but here I am.

So two questions;
Is there a more effecient way to get this fitted? Maybe clever use of a vice?

And/Or is there a solvent that would get the mt-13 to weaken eneuogh that I could just replace the brass sleeve?

Offline NorthHeart

Re: Takedown sleeve problems
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 02:17:24 pm »
I am really glad you posted this i was literally about to post something similar.  I have had similar experiences working hours and then the same thing happens with the sleeves not fitting.  Ive shaped them to perfection with a vice and a rubber mallet.  I believe the epoxy expands as it sets.  Problem is you start to run out of sleeve material to remove if you've already worked it down.  FWIW, the same thing happens if you did use both brass sleeves.  Also, i have had multiple failures with MT-13.  Over time it turns "chalky" for a lack of a better word and lets loose.  Dunno if i just got a bad batch or what, i know it wasn't out of date.  Id be interested to know if anyone has tried EA-40 or a different alternative for sleeves.

Offline Salsify

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 05:21:32 pm »
My completley unscientific subjective experience with mt-13 is that it may shrink slightly when it cures, so I dont believe thats the problem. As for the “chalky-ness” I wpuld call smooth-on about it and enquire.

Follow up question:
In another thread someone mentioned a technique to get a snug fit if its too loose: coat the inside of the steel sleeve with 5-minute epoxy. Wait till it gels up a bit, then coat the brass bit with an oil, slip it in and let cure. The oil should prevent the epoxy from bonding to the brass, allowing you to pop it right back out. Essentially creating a perfect mold of the brass sleeve inside the steel.

Would this work? Could one take a dremel to the brass bit untill its loose eneuogh to use this technique? Seems like it would save alot of effort...

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 06:17:15 pm »
It won't help you for your current job...Good quality sleeves, like those from Carson, Echo archery should  fit from the get go. The key is having a good fit to the wood, not so tight that you have to force the wood, distorting the shim, and affecting the fit. Epoxy is gap filling so if you err slightly on having the wood a little loose the epoxy will take up any slack, no distortion.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 06:44:11 pm »
 Maybe I would glue the outer sleeve on with the brass one in place to prevent distortion, maybe coated with grease or something, then remove it before the epoxy set up.

If they fit before, then you likely did distort the outer one (hammering it in place, clamping too tight, whatever), or maybe there is epoxy inside it or something?  My best guess.  Good luck.

Offline Yard Dog

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:49:25 pm »
I used conduit and long set epoxy and mine is has been perfect for years... I only did the one, tho... I literally hand shaped and fitted it.. took some time, tho.... I didn't trust the commercial ones, and was being frugal...