Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Light arrows

<< < (12/12)

Matthias Wiltschko:

--- Quote from: Badger on February 16, 2018, 09:22:58 pm ---   I saw some tests done of different weight arrows to see how much they slowed down over a distance of about 30 yards I think. The difference between a 500 grain and a 400 grain was shocking. The heavier denser arrows carry much better. I wish the test was between 300 and 200 grain. That would have been more interesting. I am leaning more and more toward 260 grains up to 300 just to see how they do.

--- End quote ---

So the 400 grain arrow would come out of the bow faster than the 500 grain arrow.
The 400 grain arrow would loose speed a lot faster but at 30 yards it would stilll be faster than the 500 grain arrow?

Badger:

--- Quote from: Matthias Wiltschko on April 08, 2018, 11:27:15 am ---
--- Quote from: Badger on February 16, 2018, 09:22:58 pm ---   I saw some tests done of different weight arrows to see how much they slowed down over a distance of about 30 yards I think. The difference between a 500 grain and a 400 grain was shocking. The heavier denser arrows carry much better. I wish the test was between 300 and 200 grain. That would have been more interesting. I am leaning more and more toward 260 grains up to 300 just to see how they do.

--- End quote ---

So the 400 grain arrow would come out of the bow faster than the 500 grain arrow.
The 400 grain arrow would loose speed a lot faster but at 30 yards it would stilll be faster than the 500 grain arrow?

--- End quote ---

Not sure if it was still faster at 30 yards but at the rate it was slowing down the 500 would have passed it before too long.

PatM:
I have some well cured Phragmites reeds that are feather light and very stiff. Going to give them a try for 500 yards. ;)

Badger:

--- Quote from: PatM on April 09, 2018, 06:02:49 am ---I have some well cured Phragmites reeds that are feather light and very stiff. Going to give them a try for 500 yards. ;)

--- End quote ---

Try them for 300 yards first, how big is the diameter?

PatM:
  Varied diameters.  A few are very slim but with closer nodes which  boosts the stiffness and strength.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version