Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Light arrows

<< < (11/12) > >>

Badger:
 I had a 3# weight sitting around and it was off the chart at about 1.8" deflection with 23" span.

avcase:

--- Quote from: Badger on March 01, 2018, 03:16:03 pm --- I had a 3# weight sitting around and it was off the chart at about 1.8" deflection with 23" span.

--- End quote ---

Steve,
That’s about right for Ipe, maybe a bit higher deflection than expected, but it depends on how the arrow is shaped. This arrow is probably way under spine deflection for clean Flight with your bow, but let’s run with it.

At sea level, 70 deg f, zero wind, 42 degree shooting angle, perfectly clean Flight, 323 yards.

But I based on your spine deflection test, I estimate the maximum diameter for the ipe flight arrow would have to be increased to about 0.255” to get enough spine, which would increase arrow mass to about 321 grains, dropping the arrow launch speed to about 180 fps, and giving a distance of 255 yards. 

If the same stiffness arrow was made of your best Tamarack/Larch, then the maximum diameter wouldn’t be much different than the ipe arrow, but the arrow would be much lighter at around 200 grains, launch speed much quicker at 211 fps, and distance much better at 283 yards.

Alan

Selfbowman:
Alan are the wall hung  Ace spine testers accurate enough? They can measure shorter arrows. Arvin

avcase:

--- Quote from: Selfbowman on March 02, 2018, 01:47:58 pm ---Alan are the wall hung  Ace spine testers accurate enough? They can measure shorter arrows. Arvin

--- End quote ---

I would hope these are accurate, but I have no experience with these.  I just use a dial indicator with the spring removed from the plunger to measure deflection. My setup resembles an arrow straightener.  I’ll take a picture.

willie:
Alan, the idea of having an algorithim to predict flight distance potential is intriguing. Are you willing to share the dimensions of the taper of your reference arrow? I need to make a few 24" arrows for 35 lb limbs. Perhaps you have some suggestions so that any actual chrono tests or flight results may help with your evaluation of the formulas or constants you use in your calcs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version