Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Light arrows

<< < (2/12) > >>

DC:
28" minimum.

avcase:
Decent quality 5/16” Douglas fir shafts should be sufficient for a finished weight of 355 grains.  Starting with a straight shaft with 60-65 pound spine will still be around 50-55 pound spine after barrel tapering.  This assumes that the diameter at base of the point and nock taper down to about .240-.245” diameter.

Sitka Spruce would end up around 270 grains for the same stiffness and a little bigger maximum diameter.

Alan

DC:
I've got some old growth Western Hemlock that I tried a while back, maybe I'll give it another look. About 6 months ago a 3' dia Sitka Spruce washed up on the beach just up the road. Someone got to it before me :(

leonwood:
Anyone in Europe know where to find some really stiff spruce? Been working on some flight arrows lately and have some success with purpleheart.
Want to try spruce or pine but the stiffest 5/16 spruce shafts available are only spined 45/50.
Did find some sitka spruce boards but they are crazy expensive and I have no idea if they will provide stiff enough shafts so I did not buy them

Selfbowman:
Guys what is the rule of thumb on spine when the arrow has no point. I am building some 70# flight arrows and don't won't one in my arm. D.C. I have been tapering some SureShaft furr that will hit your needs. Arvin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version