Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Light arrows

<< < (9/12) > >>

Badger:
  My doug fir didn't test out too bad. 27" long  215 grains, 36# spine, .270 at front and .240 at nock. FOC 1/2". Should be good for a 50# bow, I will cut it to 26". So it will likely finish after sanding at about 200 grains. I am going to make a set from 200 to 260 graduating 10 grains with each arrow

avcase:

--- Quote from: Badger on February 25, 2018, 10:49:42 am ---  My doug fir didn't test out too bad. 27" long  215 grains, 36# spine, .270 at front and .240 at nock. FOC 1/2". Should be good for a 50# bow, I will cut it to 26". So it will likely finish after sanding at about 200 grains. I am going to make a set from 200 to 260 graduating 10 grains with each arrow

--- End quote ---

Steve,
That may be exceptional Flight arrow material!  Would you be willing to do the following?

1) Measure the deflection of one of the square blanks under a weight placed at its center, like a spine test.

2) Check the height and width of the blank in several spots with some calipers.

3) Measure the mass of the blank in grains

Thanks!

avcase:

--- Quote from: willie on February 25, 2018, 02:27:02 am ---
--- Quote ---You mean just create a computer model of an arrow and “shoot” it at a certain velocity just to see how far it will go?
--- End quote ---

yes

I am building a shooting fixture to hold a set of takedown limbs. I want to play with different limb profiles, different amounts of reflex and deflex, different limb lengths and draw lengths. A primary goal is to also experiment with different arrows, and see what they can do with a mechanical release. Hopefully, results from the fixture will let me see whats possible, and help me set reasonable goals for my own finger release when shooting offhand?, and give me some ideas about bow designs to pursue. I intend to use a chrono, and if possible, shoot for distance at the same time.

Standardizing some arrow parameters and keeping records of the shots was part of the plan. I was hoping you might be willing  to share some arrow designs when I asked about your programs capabilities. It seems like a very nice way to have a baseline when exploring other variables.

--- End quote ---

Sure!  I’m Certainly willing to give it a try to see if this approach helps out with getting the most out of your bows.  I don’t claim it will accurately predict an exact distance, but I feel it is very possible to get an idea of the potential of how one arrow stacks up against another for a given bow.  Potential is the key word. Achieving that potential is an entirely different issue.

Alan

avcase:

--- Quote from: Del the cat on February 25, 2018, 03:34:26 am ---You have to be wary of computer models....

--- End quote ---

I agree. But the nice thing about a computer model is that it will always give the same answer for a given model.  You start with assumptions and then start chipping away at what needs more work Vs. what doesn’t. It should get better and better over time to the point it captures what is really important and shows similar trends as found with the physical tests.

In contrast, actual real physical testing shows what happened for a particular test at a particular point in time. But nothing stays perfectly consistent from one test to another. Temperature changes, moisture content, wind, properties of the materials are not perfectly consistent, etc. but hopefully physical tests can be controlled well enough that it shows some general trends over time.

Alan

Badger:
  Allen, could you estimate an arrow distance for me.   Ipe, 240 grains, launch speed 216 fps, max dia .220", length 25", spine about 38#.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version