Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Light arrows

<< < (6/12) > >>

avcase:
I am just using a virtual mass number for the bow to estimate how the arrow weight affects the launch speed.

Just for fun, I’ll throw in a more extreme arrow for this same 70# bow. This is from an exceptionally dense and stiff ipe board:
Finished arrow weight 522 grains, maximum diameter .296”/7.9mm, launch speed 202 fps

So this ipe arrow ends up nearly twice as heavy as the spruce arrow, launch speed is much slower, but the ipe arrow is also much thinner and much less affected by air resistance. Maybe this is best...

Alan

DC:
Does the diameter of an arrow make that much difference in air resistance? I would have expected the skin friction to be more important and I thought the weight would trump them all, up to a point where penetration starts to suffer however. I guess diameter affects the amount of skin friction too. 10% less diameter would be 10% less skin

Badger:
   I saw some tests done of different weight arrows to see how much they slowed down over a distance of about 30 yards I think. The difference between a 500 grain and a 400 grain was shocking. The heavier denser arrows carry much better. I wish the test was between 300 and 200 grain. That would have been more interesting. I am leaning more and more toward 260 grains up to 300 just to see how they do.

willie:
have you ever seen an easy way to determine speed of an arrow downrange?

avcase:
There is a new LabRadar chronograph that tracks the speed of projectiles up to 50 yards out. I would love to play with one of those. I think much of the initial loss depends on how clean the arrow is released.  It is possible to calculate the speed loss with reasonable accuracy for a perfectly launched arrow if you have a good idea of the arrow’s coefficient of drag.

I’ll give some predicted distances shortly.  It is interesting that the worst performing arrow for one set of atmospheric conditions (elevation, temperature, and wind) can become the best performing for a completely different set of conditions.

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version