Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Light arrows

<< < (5/12) > >>

Selfbowman:
Let's say 28".

Philipp A:
how thin can one make a flight arrow from hardwoods like ash etc? Does a rain drop shape point help distance?

avcase:
For what it’s worth, I have been working on a way of estimating an arrow’s potential based on a spine/deflection measurement of a straight arrow shaft, plus a measurement of the mass, length, and diameter of the straight shaft.  The calculation comes up with an arrow weight for a good performing barreled Flight arrow design based on the desired spine, bow characteristics, and arrow length.

For example, for a 28” long flight arrow for a 70# bow with 63 ft-lb of stored energy and 175 grains virtual mass, I get the following stats for a barreled Flight arrow:

Western Larch/Tamarack:
Finished arrow weight 350 grains, max diameter .317”/8.06mm, launch speed 232 fps

Douglas fir from a recycled book shelf:
Finished arrow weight 364 grains, max diameter .341”/8.66mm, launch speed 230 fps

Sitka Spruce:
Finished arrow weight 275 grains, max diameter .343”/8.70mm, launch speed 251 fps

So, given the different arrow diameters, weights, and launch speeds, which of these arrows will fly furthest?  ;)

Alan

DC:
Would you please explain the "Virtual Mass" of the bow. I'm not sure if I've heard of this.
My guess would be Spruce, Larch and then Fir :D

DC:
I think i found it here s://sites.google.com/site/technicalarchery/technical-discussions-1/virtual-mass---the-key-to-understanding-arrow-speed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version