Author Topic: Post mortem please  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Post mortem please
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 11:06:52 am »
DC,
           I would say the newly introduced patch and glue may have not been bending evenly with the original belly causing stress on the back in that area or maybe a simultaneous collapse of the belly around the patch...
                                                     Don

I looks like the patch and glue line were not taking up the compression strain as soon as the unpatched  wood beside it. That is why I make my patches a different way (only needed them on a questionable stave, not repairs). I make my plugs a tight fit such that it is necessary to bend the limb backward slightly to push the plug into place, that way, the plug is sure to be compressing as soon as the unplugged wood. These images have been seen here before.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 11:13:26 am »
I've got 30 bows hanging on the wall waiting to be used. Breaking one every once in a while is a learning experience. I always thought I may be overbuilding my bows but I think breaking one every once in a while is proving  that I'm probably not. The dry fire is extenuating circumstances though. Lessons learned by breaking bows seem to stick with me better. ;D ;D The arrow I was using had a shallow nock that I kept telling myself to fix. Shoulda listened to myself.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 12:13:03 pm »
I think it would be a good learning experience for all of us to see a picture of those 30 bows hanging on the wall.
Eric

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 09:19:53 pm »
Sorry for your loss regarding this one DC.  Im with Desert.  Lets see the others!

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 09:39:55 pm »
For what its worth :D

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 10:00:50 pm »
May it Rest In Peace. The rest look great though. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline gfugal

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 12:08:27 am »
I've broken a couple in the last while. They were small knotty staves so I guess I should have been more conservative. I discovered about 2" of draw length by straightening out my form so I guess it was to be expected.
Yeah longer draws make it so much harder If i had a normal draw length most of my broken bows would still be around today.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Yorec

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 08:41:09 am »
This is why I come here - I learn so much!

My my ability to express an expert opinion remain right at that JW first expressed.... for now, but it’s very educational to read the other ideas and theories!  ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 03:08:08 pm »
dry fire in the winter,, when moisture is down,,is pretty hard on a bow,, (W

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 03:09:22 pm »
there was probably more damage to the bow than the patch could fix,, (--)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 07:02:54 pm »
there was probably more damage to the bow than the patch could fix,, (--)

That's what I think.  The patch job looks good, but there may have been underlying damage you couldn't or maybe just didn't see.  I also prefer a patch more like Jim Davis posted pics of, but your work looked just fine.  Maybe the patch was slightly stiffer than the surrounding limb, which forced it to flex right near and running into (but under) the patch.

Looks like a spectacular break, though.