Author Topic: Center shot  (Read 1705 times)

Offline DC

Center shot
« on: January 27, 2018, 02:05:28 pm »
If you have a hypothetical bow that shoots a 40# spine arrow nicely and you cut away the handle to make it more center shot, now you can shoot a heavier arrow. Can you still shoot the 40# arrow? My left brain says no but my right brain wonders why.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Center shot
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:41:13 pm »
Seems to me the closer to center shot the more spine tolerant the bow is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kbear

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 02:48:26 pm »
As I understand it, spine selection caters for archers paradox. So, if you have an arrow the bends around the handle when loosed from a 40# bow just right, and flies straight (after a little wobble of course), and you then make the bow more center-shot, would it not now bend around the handle and fly right? Me thinks.....

How much would depend on the handle change. Can most probably be compensated for quite easily.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 02:50:43 pm »
In this hypothetical, why would you want to shoot a heavier arrow? If it ain't broke, why fix it?  ;D

Otherwise, while I know closer to center shot does means more arrow flexibility, the way I understood it, if you shoot closer to center, you would need a stiffer arrow since your arrow doesn't doesn't need to bend around the handle as much.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 07:19:22 pm »
In a normal well tuned bow if everything goes right the arrow bends enough to completely clear the handle. If you move the handle away a bit by making the bow more centershot the arrow would bend the same amount and should fly as well as it did before. But we know it doesn't. If an arrow is too limp for a bow it flies poorly. I looked at some slo-mo vids and the first thing a properly tuned arrow does is come off the fingers and bend so that the belly of the bend hits the bow, then it bends the other way and clears the bow. Something that happens right there must make all the difference. Dunno what it is though :-\ :-\

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 07:26:41 pm »
I like center shot bows. As long as it isn't under spine you can shoot about anything. Better to match what your bow likes.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 10:05:53 pm »
Did it shoot right? If more center shot it might from a right handed bow. But the stiffer arrow will be faster in my opinion. Why you fishing. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 09:26:00 am »
   "True center shot" caters to a stiffer arrow for finger shooters...You need less paradox...I would not want true center shot on my self bow, never could really tune one...Your fingers on release actually create the beginning paradox as the string rolls sharply towards you upon release...The string has to come off the fingers, out and around them causing paradox to the shaft...A release shooter would prefer exact center shot...
                                                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 02:39:43 pm »
I dont think there would be a formula or rule,, I think just try it and see,, I shoot some pretty heavy spine arrows through some light bows that should not work ,, but they do,, and I think alot of that depends on your style of shooting and release,, so my answer is maybe,,, :)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 07:44:24 pm »
  My experience with arrow spine on center cut fiberglass recurves tells me that the closer to center you are the more tolerant of various spines the bow is.  HOWEVER!  The bow will be more tolerant of STIFFER spines than of softer.

Regardless of amount of centershot, the flexing of the arrow still happens.  If the bow is cut 3/4" left of center both arrows that flex too much and that flex too little will do all kinds of crazy things.  If the bow is cut much closer to center, the soft spine will still flex all over do whatever it wants as it leaves the bow.  The stiffer arrow will flex less, and leave more cleanly.

Here is a really cool viodeo where the guy shoots softer and softer spine until they break in slo-mo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KGWC0PB6s