Author Topic: Post mortem please  (Read 2718 times)

Offline DC

Post mortem please
« on: January 26, 2018, 03:21:37 pm »
This is(was) my regular shooter. I couple of weeks ago the string slipped out of the nock and I dry fired it. I noticed a pinch beside a knot that was just under the belly. I scooped it out and put in a patch. I shot it for a couple of weeks, maybe 200 shots and today it broke. It looks to me like the back gave out but it's right at the end of the patch so maybe that contributed to it. In the first two pictures I kept it lined up with the grout line so you can relate front to back. The third picture shows how it looks like the break ran to the right until it hit that knot. Or is it possible that the break started at that right hand knot. I'm mostly wondering if the patch contributed but it looks like the glue joint is still solid. I didn't notice until I came in that there is a piece or two missing. I'll go out and look for them.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Post mortem please
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:40:47 pm »
Judging from all three pictures, but particularly the last one, I would say it broke.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:42:09 pm »
And look what the string did. The nock point slid up the string stretching the serving as it went. Never seen this before. :)
Oh, I couldn't find any shrapnel.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 04:18:32 pm »
+1 JW  :o

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 05:10:26 pm »
You guys are big help, thanks a lot ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline gfugal

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 06:04:37 pm »
Judging from all three pictures, but particularly the last one, I would say it broke.
haha
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 07:03:56 pm »
I don't know what happened Don but I'm sorry it blew. Yew is my #2 in explosiveness, #1 being ERC. Hilarious title by the way.  ;D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 07:24:37 pm »
DC,
           I would say the newly introduced patch and glue may have not been bending evenly with the original belly causing stress on the back in that area or maybe a simultaneous collapse of the belly around the patch...Looks like a deep patch...I have used sinew on linear cracks but never open heart surgery...Like you said there was a knot there in the beginning....Glad no one got injured  (--)...I think JW was correct on his observation  ;D
                                                     Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 07:27:52 pm »
I've broken a couple in the last while. They were small knotty staves so I guess I should have been more conservative. I discovered about 2" of draw length by straightening out my form so I guess it was to be expected.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 01:17:12 am »
OPPs!  I hope that doesn't happen to me!  Got to agree with JW - it broke, fatally, fire up the grill >:D (=)!  Hope you are ok!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 02:32:53 am »
Your second sentence said it all - "Dryfire"  (--). Does violent things to a Bow (and string). Blow Taps over it and start a new one  :OK. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 03:31:56 am »
I think a string breaking is worse than a dry fire as the bow can flex the wrong way, damaging the back, maybe a little crease opposte whe the belly splintered.
There was doubtless more damage than you saw... the patch only got maybe 85% of the damage...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 09:29:01 am »
The bow originally had about 2" of reflex in both limbs. After the dry fire and repair the limb that broke was straight so, yeah, the more damage works for me. Thanks guys.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 09:42:50 am »
I would guess that the dry fire is somewhat complicit and along with the patch(which may have changed the dynamics of the limb) contributed to the explosion. You possibly over drew the bow which I know for a fact will break a bow.  ::)  Sorry for your loss but these things happen with our fun addiction.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ohma2

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 10:42:29 am »
Post mortem conclussion dead,donate any vital organs to the learning pile.sorry for your loss.