Author Topic: Deflex splices  (Read 4622 times)

Offline DC

Re: Deflex splices
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:28 am »
This is what I put in with gap filling glue
Do you use a "W" splice Marc? How long do you make it?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 10:31:21 am »
I asked Don for permission to add all these pics of a bow I am working now that has glued in splice deflex. I wont type much, its self explanatory.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 10:33:44 am »
This is how I fit the last piece and what the end product looks like. I didn't glue in near the deflex Marc did, which allows the curved pieces rather than "V" shaped.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 10:48:46 am »
So, between the first and second pictures did you cut/rasp the handle area into a nice smooth curve?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 11:05:29 am »
Exactly. I used a half round 49 & and then a sanding block. I glued two strips of hickory each time, I found that the clamp pressure required to squeeze all four lams in squeezed my glue out. So I did what you see in three glue sessions.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:16:47 am by PEARL DRUMS/PEARLY/PD/DRUMS »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 11:09:37 am »
I used to do it like Pearl does and it works OK as long as the deflex is mild.  I found that once you start to increase the deflex you can't clamp even a very thin strip down tight enough to avoid a gap right at the base of the splice
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 11:16:24 am »
My deflex was minimal, I got a 1" drop each way from center before the reflex came in.

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 11:23:39 am »
If your billets are an easily bent wood you can steam the ends into a deflex curve individually before cutting your splice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 11:30:37 am »
And thin enough. I wouldn't think about steam bending a 12" long section of 2" thick osage. Not a chance. 

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 11:30:44 am »
My deflex was minimal, I got a 1" drop each way from center before the reflex came in.

Pearlie why don't you just glue on blocks to both billets before the splice? You could use a bandsaw to get whatever depth you need with added assurance of the extra depth of the glued area, you could cover the splice as you did as well?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 11:39:55 am »
I wanted a laminated handle with different woods in it. If I follow you, that is.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 11:47:22 am »
I wanted a laminated handle with different woods in it. If I follow you, that is.

Gotcha. I like the handle.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 11:55:08 am »
Very nice work Pearly.

I've got a 3' long log of osage that's very straight and I'm planning on turning it into two 2" x 2" x 3' billets with the "back-to-be" sides cut just above a target growth ring. I was going to clamp them back to belly, splice (being careful to line up the target growth rings, glue up, and then chase the target growth ring before roughing out the bow. Does this make sense?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 12:06:49 pm »
I do splices in slats that way, but I cut billets one at a time. My splice cuts aren't gorgeous, but they work for me.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 04:41:19 pm »
The deflex in this bow was not spliced in, it was steam bent and not something I would do again

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com