Author Topic: Deflex splices  (Read 4624 times)

Offline DC

Deflex splices
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:22:02 pm »
When you're doing a deflex splice what do you do about the little empty wedges? Cut and glue in wooden wedges? Fill with epoxy and sawdust? It's going to be covered by the handle/riser anyway, does it matter strength wise? Ideas?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Deflex splices
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:33:02 pm »
Glue a big wedge onto each billet before you cut the splice!
The wedge will also make it easier to guide through the bandsaw too.
You won't any have gaps...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 03:44:19 pm »
Del, any way you could clarify a bit what it means to glue a wedge onto each billet before you cut the splice? Do you mean just glue a piece of wood on top of each billet? I'd love to see how you cut splices on a bandsaw as well. I thought about making a splicing jig like in TBB1, but I can't understand the directions.

Thanks for posting this question DC, I've been wondering about all this for a while now!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:13:12 pm »
DC, Good job cutting those splices – they’re TIGHT! Did you do them by hand or use a jig? Did you angle the billets when you cut them to match the deflex angle? (helps to eliminate gaps at the ends of the splices)

You can glue the “wedge” (or a flat piece) on the bottom pieces now, and re-saw. Just be as accurate re-sawing the splices as you were the first time. Another option is the use a filler material as you suggested. The surface area of the splice is plenty strong, so filling the gaps just makes it easier (and neater) to apply the handle covering.
H

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 06:55:57 pm »
That was actually after about two hours of rasping and fitting. I did something when I cut it that made it very tight. When I first cut it, it would only go in about 3" on a 4" splice. I made a drawing of a splice to try and figure out what I did but it messes with my head when I try to imagine what goes on when you turn one around. ???

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 07:33:45 pm »
Ooops I looked at that pic again , and we are talking the belly not the back.

I personally will add glued on handles to both billets before they are cut to add extra strength to your splice area, twice the gluing depth. Not as pretty but damn strong, cover with a wrap.

VMB
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:49:43 am by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 07:36:19 pm »
Why would it be stronger to glue the wedge on first? It's still the same length and number of joints.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 07:41:15 pm »
  I usually have my splice area 1" thick before cutting the splice either naturally or built up to 1". Most billets are usually at least 1" thick or more to start with.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 08:16:41 pm »
Not the kind of splice I use but I never glue in wedges to fill in the gap, I use a gap filling glue.  I start with at least 1/2" thick wood at the splice but never more than 3/4" thick, this is with a backed bow.  If it's a selfbow then I'll use 1" thick wood and hardly ever less than 3/4" thick at the splice
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 04:31:14 am »
Del, any way you could clarify a bit what it means to glue a wedge onto each billet before you cut the splice? Do you mean just glue a piece of wood on top of each billet? I'd love to see how you cut splices on a bandsaw as well. I thought about making a splicing jig like in TBB1, but I can't understand the directions.

Thanks for posting this question DC, I've been wondering about all this for a while now!
Glue a wedge onto the belly of each billet where the splice will be cut....
hang on... here's a post where I did it on a crossbow prod, very short splices but you'll see the idea.
You will still get the splice points sticking up on the back, these can be flattened out/blended, but the belly side will have no gaps. :)
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/mkii-prod-etc.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:04:11 am »
Got it. Thanks Del!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 06:40:10 am »
Give me a few hours and Ill put up a  bunch of pics showing how I just did exactly what you are trying to do now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 07:09:52 am »
Give me a few hours and Ill put up a  bunch of pics showing how I just did exactly what you are trying to do now.

(-P

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 07:14:01 am »
This is what I put in with gap filling glue

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 08:54:44 am »
This is a reflexed handle with a scarf joint rather than the w splice, but you can still use this. I put sideplates and a bottom cap to hide the splice. Looks great. Another member here has this bow now.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others